That was my reactions - well intended advice, but who wants to
wait for a gallon of water to evaporate? Will it ever evaporate with
snow or rain refilling the container? If it does eventually evaportate,
then the sodium hypochlorite crystals left behind will be somewhat
uniformly distributed on the sides and bottom of the container. How
do we get rid of these bleach crystals? Add water to the container
to rinse them off. We're back were we started.
You don't have to wait for it to evaporate. Heat and sun will break down
the chlorine and you dump the water. Mix a dilute solution of bleach and
water. Leave it sit in an open container and come back in a week. See how
much it smell like bleach.
Ever wonder why they always add chlorine to swimming pools on a regular
basis? Were does it go?
Yes, and corpses turn to ashes. But just as the mafia doesn't dump
a body in the back yard and expect to see nothing but ashes blowing
away in the wind the next morning, most of us don't expecting to put
out a few gallons of bleach solution tonight and have all of the water
evaporated and all of the bleach de-activated by morning. Don't believe
everything that the manufacturers of Clorox and Tylex tell you on their
The water takes a very long time to evaporate and the bleach is not all
deactivated when the water finally does evaporate. Sodium hypochlorite
is unstable, but nowhere near the extent that you assume.
I'd suggest using Google with search terms such as:
reactivate "sodium hypochlorite" OR bleach
I'd also suggest talking with a few carpet experts, including carpet
cleaning specialists. There are many naive carpet owners who believe
that the bit of bleach that they dripped on their carpet will quickly and
completely "turn to common table salt." Often over the course of
months they discover that the once slightly bleached dots on their
carpet are turning lighter and lighter. Why? Because the bleach is
continually "reactivated" by water tracked onto the carpet or even by
Other homeowners spray outdoor items with one of the common bleach-
based cleaners and carefully follow the manufacturers advice to avoid
tracking the liquid into the house. But a few days later, when dew or
light rain is on the ground, they track the reactivated bleach through
the house, with disasterous results to their carpets.
Considering this thread started about 2 months ago, the water should
be evaporated by now. And anyoine as afraid of a little bleach water
as the OP, really should move to another part of the world where
people still live in caves and launder their woven straw clothing in
the nearest mudhole where the pet wild boars drink and shit.
On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 06:14:21 GMT, "Gideon" < firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.