Dishwasher Mount to Granite?!?!?!?!?!?

We've pretty much got our cabinets in and have picked out a nice slab of granite for our countertop. Our old countertop was laminated wood and the dishwasher has two metal tabs at the top above the door and there were wood screws thru holes in these tabs fastened into the wood of the countertop. With the granite the only thing that will be above the dishwasher is the granite. These screws are not load bearing as they just seem to keep the dishwasher from walking around in the opening between the cabinets.

How do you fasten a dishwasher to the granite countertop?

Reply to
infiniteMPG

I believe the practice is to take a strip of wood about 1/2" thick and glue that to the underside of the granite and then screw the dishwasher tabs into that wood strip.

I had a laminate top that the area where my old dishwasher screws went into had deteriorated so badly due to venting from the dishwasher that screws would no longer stay in the particle board.

I took a thin strip of wood and used some Gorilla glue to do the same thing as you would with a granite top.

The new dishwasher is screwed into that strip and everything is fine.

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry

That would work, but I believe that there is a way to screw into the side cabinets instead. I can't now remember exactly but it seems most dishwashers offered some kind of accessory strips or had predrilled but plugged holes along the front of the cabinet side. The purpose of mounting is to keep the dishwasher from tipping forward when the door is opened and a full rack pulled out. I don't believe a d/w would ever walk much.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G

Most new dishwashers have side mounting options.

Reply to
Mikepier

On mine, they just drilled 2 holes into the granite and screwed into that.

-dickm

Reply to
dicko

Yep.. I reversed the door swing on my clothes dryer (before the service man said it couldn't be done). The hinge/latch location was duplicated on both sides of the door and mount areas, so I swapped them around.

Side mounts are the best choice for a DW and granite...

Reply to
Oren

How thick is your granite? Why risk potential damage to the granite, when a side mount(s) WILL work?

I don't see the need for drilling into the granite.

Reply to
Oren

You don't as far as I know. In our case, the tabs were remountable to the sides of the unit and were then screwed into the side of the cabinet face rails. Wasn't a big deal and it was actually handled by the guys who installed the Granite.

Good luck.

Reply to
Bob M

infiniteMPG wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i76g2000hsf.googlegroups.co m:

I used latex caulk to adhere the metal tabs to the underside of the granite. This has held for 8 years now.

Dee

Reply to
Dee

te. =A0This has held for 8 years now.

Hey Dee, great suggestion. I didn't think of that and since it's really no load on the screws that would probably work best without damaging the granite. I might step up to something a little more industrial then latex caulk but the idea is perfect!

Thanks!

Reply to
infiniteMPG

 This has held for 8 years now.