Dishwasher Installation Woes

I just almost finished installing our new GE dishwasher. When we ran it, the drain leaked at the garbage disposer inlet. When I tightened the clamp (much more than it seems it should need), the leak stopped. Then I removed the hose. It seems to me that the hose coupler is too large for the inlet, so the seal is not tight enough.
The drain hose that came with the dishwasher has a customizable boot that connects to the inlet. The boot can supposedly work with 5/8" and 1" inlets. The disposer is an Insinkerator Pro SS unit. After a lot of searching, I have not been able to determine what the inlet size is. It's difficult to reach and see, but by holding a tape measure up to the inlet, it appears that the inside dimension is 5/8". The outside dimension is definitely less than 1".
So here's the problem. The way the drain hose boot is adaptable is by cutting off the 1" portion to reveal the 5/8" portion. If the Insinkerator inlet is not 5/8", the hose is trash. What should I do to solve this dilemma?
Cut it, it will work just fine. Jesse

Use a pair of needle-nose pliers inserted inside the 5/8 tubing if it is too tight to fit over the coupling. Use the pliers to expand the tubing just enough so you can force the tubing onto the coupling. A clamp to hold the tubing onto the coupling is probably not necessary, but can't hurt.
On 1/26/2010 11:48 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

What am I missing? Insinkerator has a virtual monopoly on the disposer market. How is it that dishwasher hoses are not designed specifically for Insinkerator? Or are they?

How come no two cell phone battery chargers have the same fitting?
Joe G

Or make up some sort of adapter. Remarkable how everyone expects everything to 'come out of the box ready to use' in every situation! But that's what do it your self and < alt.home.repair > is all about.

Heh, what's really annoying is that Motorola uses a (something)USB connector for its phones, but your phone won't charge if you plug it into a USB port, only a Motorola charger or a port on a computer with Motorola Phone Tools installed. (e.g. my clock radio has a USB charging port, but it won't charge either of my cell phones; neither will a generic USB charger that plugs into a cigarette lighter.)
nate
On 1/26/2010 11:48 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Well, the mystery is solved, sort of. The inlet to the Insinkerator is 3/4", not 5/8" or 1", as per the dishwasher hose. There is a kit available to attach to the inlet - Insinkerator DWC-00, Home Depot part number 118647. My local store has them in stock. Now I'm wondering how the adapter will connect to the hose.