Dishwasher hookup leak

Page 2 of 2
On 09 Apr 2009, ana.barragan1_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (ana) wrote in alt.home.repair:

Yes, I did fix the problem. My problem was that I was being too gentle with the fittings. I did crank it down pretty hard, or so I thought, but I was afraid to force it for fear of cracking the brass fitting on the dishwasher side, and also to avoid having the L-bend wind up facing the wrong way. But it still leaked. Finally I was encouraged to tighten it even harder, and I managed almost once complete turn. That did it - no more leaks, and it's held tight ever since then.
I'm surprised to see my old usenet post show up on that web site, and I'm impressed that you knew to respond back here. I hope you're able to fix your leak.

Your problem might not be the elbow but the dishwasher itself. Had a similar problem with a water heater and a couple of valve replacements (with all the appropriate fixes) did not stop the leak. What stopped the leak was running down the female heater threads with a thread making tool (senior moment, can't think of its name) to clean them up and fix any burrs etc.. MLD

die, as in the other part of a tap and die set

Female threads...he used a tap, right?
Joe
Joe

Female threads...he used a tap, right?
Joe -- duh, yes.
Thanks to everybody for your helpful advice. In the end it seems that I was too gentle with the fittings and just needed to screw them together much harder. Everything is now together and working and DRY.
Another learning experience.
alt.home.repair: