DIRTY CARPET ON STAIR STEPS

I have a light tan carpet on my stairs and it is getting rather dirty.
Any suggestions on how to clean this carpet that would not be too difficult, dangerous or expensive?

call the carpet cleaning guy [maybe on the coupon in your telephone book], and hire him for an hour at a price you both like in advance. or use that money wisely instead to tear out and replace the carpet with the color and padding you really want.
buffalobill wrote:

A trick that can work, if done soon enough, is to move the carpet up or down, so the worn dirty part is now on the riser not the tread.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
graced this newsgroup with:

Use a light solution of liquid laundry detergent and water. Wet and scrub with a scrub brush. Let dry, vacuum.
Or, if it's really wet, use a shop vac to suck up the excess moisture, then let air dry.