Dimmer For Lights

Hello,
Have a light dimmer that is used to dim some overhead lights in the dining room.
It's quite old, and a vertical moving lever style. Guess you would say it's analog, as you can set the bulb intensity anywhere you like, or totally off.
The lights it controls are, presently, the normal incandescent type.
If and when we have to replace these bulbs with either the new LED types or Halogen, or..., can I assume that any new Dimmer I buy will work with them ?
Or, are there specific Dimmers for specific types ? If so, any details on them would be appreciated.
Would hate to have to do it twice.
Thaks, Bob
On Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:15:54 AM UTC-4, Bob wrote:

Any dimmmer will work with halogen. Most dimmers will work with LEDs, but you should check with the particular LED bulb manufacturer's info to be sure.
On 3/27/2014 7:15 AM, Bob wrote:

When you say "normal", I'm assuming you are talking about the regular round bulb and not a decorative type bulb. Many dining room fixtures use the candelabra style bulbs and they are still going to be made.
Our light has some 60W fancy bulbs and since we don't usually run them at 100%, they have lasted over 20 years now. If that is what you have or can use, keep them a bit shy of full power and yhou don't have to worry about changing anything for a long time.

No. definitely not. Read the label on the dimmer carefully to see what it will and won't work with.

Yes.