Diff between a $20 and $100 1500W space heater

Page 1 of 2

I was in Lowes looking for a space heater and saw several different 1500W models. Some as little as $20, and others like the Vornado and those upright tower heaters for like $100. Does one model heat better than another? I thought all 1500W heaters put out the same heat.

What's the difference between a Yugo and a Porsche ?

Not 1500 watts. The Porsche can out perform a Yugo in speed and handling , but a 1500 watt heater is going to heat the same as any other 1500 watt heater.

True enough, the difference isn't in the amount of heat, which is obviously the same. The difference is in the quality of the build, the safety devices built into the better heater, which will be reflective in how well it works and how long it lasts

1500 watts is 1500 watts. I also looked into those things Paul Harvey was pushing and from the ads it seemed they had changed physics and kept the heat around you and it wouldn't rise as would normally happen! Those were very expensive and also 1500 watts. You only get 1500 watts out no matter how deliver it through light bulbs or heated wires.
Rich
On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 04:39:03 -0700, Mikepier wrote:

It shouldn't be just the electrical energy the heater consumes. It should be how well it warms the full room.
IIRC, there isn't, but there should be, a standard specification on the BTU transferred to the room; a heat exchange efficiency rating if you will.
Example: I have one of those oil filled heaters that looks like an old time radiator. It just sits there, and the air right near the heater is very warm. 3 feet away, it is slightly warm, but at 6 feet away little usefulness. Do a Google on your Vornado, and read the hype at their web site; it doesn't appear the Vornado just sits there.
Phil Again wrote:

I like the oil filled radiator style because they are silent. We have ceiling fans in every room so they work well.
If the Vornado is very very quiet then It may be good to look into? Otherwise it's just a fancy version of a $14.88 fan heater from WalMart.
For any heater type remember that if you just heat the air the room will not be comfortable for very long. You must heat everything in the room as well. furniture, walls etc. Kevin
Mikepier wrote:

Look more closely at the features. Items such as programmable timers remote controls and such add to the price.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&No=0&NeB94967294&category=Portable+Electric+Heaters&NB94942604
Kevin
Supposedly the ceramic heaters put out more heat than glowing filament wire heaters. I havn't researched this.
For the $80 price difference, you can buy a $10 fan, and a lot of electricity.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You mentioned this just when I was thinking about these ceramic heaters. Seems about 10 years ago they were the big rage. Lots of advertising claimed they were superior and put out more heat than conventional heaters. Their small size was a selling factor too. Every hardware store and other stores that sold things like this, had one on display that was working in the colder seasons.
I was never convinced because I know that you only get a set amount of heat from a set amount of electricity. But lets answer this once and for all. Its got a ceramic core, but isnt there still a glowing wire inside that core? If not, how do they work?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes:

It does have some sort of resistance element in there to convert amps into heat. But the resistance element is part of the ceramic "core" which also contains many passages with air flowing through it. The heat from the resistor is conducted through the core to a large amount of surface area for transfer to the air. Because of this, no part of the heater core gets very hot. It might still be capable of burning your skin if you touched it directly, but there is nothing that glows, nothing hot enough to start most combustibles burning.
So it's no more efficient than any other resistance heater at converting electricity to heat. But the low temperature makes it safer than the glowing-wire heaters, and the heater core with lots of little air passages probably makes it easier to add a fan and direct all the warm air in a particular direction.
    Dave
Mikepier wrote:

I beleive the 1500W refers to how much juice they use. As others have pointed out there are various ways to use that juice and / or distribute the heat. Suggest you google something like Differences in electric heaters. I just did and got a lot of hits:-))
Lou

1500 w is 1500 w, some are made better and they heat differently but all 1500w heaters put out 1500watts of heat. Radiant quarts heaters dont heat the air they heat objects, which can be good and save if you are sitting watching tv all night and have the heater facing you from maybe 8 ft away. A convection oil filled heater mainly heats the rooms air, tungsten element heaters with a reflector put out a combination of radiant and convection heat. Try a 20$ unit with a decent warranty, you may need it. Ceramic disk are just nice and small

Jeez: What's happened to our high school physics? 1500 watts is 1500 watts (Or rougly 5000 BTUs of heat). What you or I do with it; warm room air without a fan, warm room air and blow it around with a fan, heat a saucepan, boil a kettle, switch on 15 100 watt light bulbs, etc. is our business. Do that continuously for one straight hour, here at our domestic electricity rates (your mileage may be different!) will cost us about 15 cents. On the other hand you could sit under a 1500 watt sun-lamp for a solid hour and burn off some of your epidermis for the same price! Sometimes called 'tanning'. Hence the old fashioned expression "Come here again and I'll tan your hide!". But I digress. If you use the 1500 watts in a Heat Pump (capital cost involved!) you may be able to pump 'several times' that amount of heat either into, or out of (An air cooling processcalled Air Conditioning) your dwelling! All depending on ambient conditions and equipment efficiencies at various temperatures. But 1500 watts is 1500 watts whichever way you use it. BTW a tropical fish aquarium may have a 15 watt heater. That's 100th of a 1500 watter. The aquarium warms up and then loses heat to the surriounding room air. So could install 100 tropical fish tanks each with a 15 watt heater and get the same amount of heat.

Good question.

No, it's roughly 5000 Btu PER HOUR of heat.
Nick
Mikepier wrote:

How often do you want to buy one?
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

ANOTHER SEPERATE ISSUE, a friend said she will just use space heaters in limited areas, to keep the forced air gas furnace set at 60 degreees to save bucks.
but most likely because electric is so expensive it will actually cost her more.
electric heat is costlyt
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

Not necessarily, no.
Depends on relative rates locally and how much space heating is used as opposed to central.
On the contrary, she might actually save noticeable amount or might break even.
Will all depend on the specifics of the given situation.
ANOTHER SEPERATE ISSUE, a friend said she will just use space heaters in limited areas, to keep the forced air gas furnace set at 60 degreees to save bucks.
but most likely because electric is so expensive it will actually cost her more.
electric heat is costlyt
Some places still have rates of 8 for electric while oil is $4+, narrowing the gap. It is not so much a Btu for Btu exchange, but if you can use 10,000 Btu of electric and not run a boiler or furnace burning 50,000 Btu heating unused space, there is a savings.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

At $3.85/gal for #2 oil in an 80% efficient furnace and $0.089/kw/hr in a 100% efficient electric heater, electric heating is only 3% more expensive. When this is viewed in light of your observation that with electric heaters only the area being used is heated, electric heat is the most cost effective by a wide margin. Of course for other energy source costs the conclusion will change.
Boden