Space between bricks

Hi,

I have a brick home and noticed that on the outside walls just above ground there is a empty space (about 1centimeter) between the bricks & joint that is not filled up with joint cement. This is conssistent around all home. Is this done on purpose? If yes, then why? To let wals "breathe"? I am asking this as I have ant problem in my house and I would like to close all gaps so ants would not be able to enter house.

Thanks

Reply to
No

"To let wals "breathe"?" Yes...

"I would like to close all gaps so ants would not be able to enter house" Get rid of the ants...

No wrote:

Reply to
Jo

Those are weep holes, and they're to let water out. You should not plug them, but you could put diatomaceous earth there, or spray them with a persistant poison.

Reply to
default

Yes.

Yes, otherwise moisture could infiltrate and not be able to escape.

You will be unsucessful. But regardless, don't plug the weep holes: you might, if you worked really hard at it, stop the ant problem only to have your house rot out.

John

Reply to
raven

You should see similar "open head joints" above doors and windows. There is - or should be - flashing at these levels to direct moisture out of the space behind the brick. As "default" says, you must keep these weep holes open and can deal with insects without closing the joints.

Tom Baker

Reply to
Tom Baker

Flashing was probably left out and ants get in between the foundation and wood sill. If flashing was installed under the walls building paper properyl the ants would have to walk up inside the wall to your roof to get in. Unfortunately, many brick walls are defective. There are bug screens which masons can install while building a weep hole but no oneuses them much.

Reply to
Art