Did I ruin my mower?

I have a DR self propelled trimmer with a Briggs and Stratton motor. According to instructions, I removed the4 spark plug to put a little oil in the cylinder for the winter. In putting the plug back in, I cross threaded it. I got a thread chaser but it was impossible to turns it properly because of interference from the valve assembly. I think I made the threads worse. Is there anything I can do short of removing the head?
---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire (44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:01:00 -0400, ---MIKE--- wrote:

How thick does the head gasket seem? On a lot of mowers they're reusable, at least to a certain extent, and the bolts holding the head on aren't that tight, and getting them all torqued back down to the same level isn't that critical. Pulling the head, trying to clean the thread up, then refitting it might not be a big deal at all.
cheers
Jules
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 13:39:10 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson

Remove the head and have a PROPER Helicoil or other thread insert installed. Don't waste time screwing around trying to "fix" a crossthreaded plug hole with a chaser or a tap.
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 27, 8:01 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

It will never be "right" again. Even if you get the threads straightened out they're compromised and the spark plug will likely blow out at some point in the near future. Best thing to do is replace the head at this point, and consider it an expensive lesson learned.
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 27, 7:01 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

Order a new head and gasket and Google proper torque and bolt pattern to tighten them. And, as someone said...clean out the metal shavings!
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:42:19 -0700, harry wrote:

Yes, you could helicoil it to do it properly. Or replace the head. Or epoxy the plug into the hole and replace the head when the plug wears out ;-)
(I suspect that most mowers die of something long before the plug needs replacing anyway)
cheers
Jules
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:01:00 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

http://www.timesert.com/html/sparkplug.html
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:01:00 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

Pull the head, run the thread chaser from the inside to outside to clean up the threads . If that doesn't work, take it to a machine shop and have them shoot a helicoil in it, Buy a new gasket and put it back together.
Any mower shop will have a head gasket or you can get one online. It sounds like you have all winter to screw with it. You should check the valve adjustments when you get it back together. They probably changed.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 15:58:25 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

If it is an L Head motor the valve adjustment will not have changed from removing the head because they are all in the block.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 21:15:54 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

We said he couldn't get a clean shot at the plug hole because of the "valve assembly". That makes it sound like the new Honda inspired/licensed Briggs with OHV.
Add pictures here
✖