Desperate for QUICK advice on leaky faucet/claw foot tub combination

Hi everyone, I am new to the site and need some help asap as you will quickly see. I know it says to search first before asking a question and I have done that, but anytime I click on a topic I get a blank white screen. (This is not my problem, but if you know the solution to this issue, I would love that too!!!)

THE PROBLEM:

Last night while at work (7pm-7am)my wife called and told me that the hot water handle on our claw foot tub would not shut off. Once we are at work, we can not leave unless there is something significantly worse than a leaky faucet!!! I told her to try the shut off valve, and she said she couldn't reach it, (more on this later) and then told her to use a screwdriver and pull off the handle and try a vice grip on the stem. She said the screw is stripped. URRRRGHHHHHHHHHH. Finally I told her since it is after eleven PM, just shut off the main valve to the house in the basement.....

Well I got home this morning, and she decided it was easier to just close the door and let it run...this is not a drip, it is running like it was

1/8th of the way open. If the stopped was in, it would fill the tub is 4-6 hours. LOL

The Faucet is a typical single hard spout with shower pullup and two handles. The screw was indeed stripped, but I managed to get it out. The handle wouldn't come off, so I used an handle puller and got it off. I expected to find a cartridge, and did, but it must be about twenty or thiry years old. I can not get it to budge even a fraction of an inch.

The toilet is mere inches from the tub, and the tub is right against the wall in a corner. There is indeed very little room to work. You have to physically lay on the edge of the tub with your feet in the tub and sort of hang just right between the tub and toilet to see/reach anything behind it.

This is a 120 year old farm house and everything connected to the tub is either cast iron or really OLD galvanized. I cant seem to get the cartridge thingy out, and if, worst case scenario I need to replace the faucet, I cant seem to figure out how to even get the faucet off. To really make sure i had a good day, fate made it certain that the shut off valves installed by the previous owner do nothing at all. The main water valve to the house is now shut off.

HERE IS WHERE THE DESPERATION COMES IN....

I HAVE to work Friday, Saturday and Sunday night from 7pm-7am. This is a big problem because my daughters First Communion is Sunday morning, and my family is coming over afterwords, and this is the only bathroom. I do not have a big budget and payday is next week. I really can't call a plumber. I basically have between now (3:30am CS and 1-2pm Friday and 8am to 1-2pm Saturday to fix this. I have to sleep a few hours. As it is, I will get off Sunday morning with just enough time to get cleaned up and to church, and since my family is going to be here I won't be getting any sleep before work Sunday night.

HHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP!

Because I am also having problems viewing some pages on the site, if you could email responses that would be great. snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Reply to
srvnut

Did your wife call me about the leak behind the refrigerator? I think we know each other.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon