Dehumidifier for basement - Reciprocating or Rotary compressor?

Hi All,
We need to dry out the basement a bit, it's anew new home, w/ full unfinished basement, located in NE - we've noticed it's damper than we'd like down there (no leaks or flooding, just damp)... the temp in summer never gets above 68 even when 90's outdoors
I've noticed that Sears sell several models of dehumidifier, and they are delineated by 2 factors:
Compressor type - Reciprocating or Rotary - any thoughts on benefits of either? Energy Star compliance - obviously a plus when considering ROI
I'm not concerned about the dehumidifiers tank capacity as I will install a small pump to empty the reservoir whenever it needs it (did this w/ an earlier house, used a fishtank pump, worked great - pumped the water through a small hose out a window into the garden), never had to worry about it going off due to full tank.
I'm more concerned with the reliability of the compressor, hence the request - any thoughts?
Also, I've got about 40' of un-insulated cold water pipe running along ceiling - sweats a lot in humid weather (leaves tell-tale wet line on concrete floor - no real puddle though) - will insulating this have much of an effect either way?
Thanks,
Kevin O'
I dont know about reliability , maybe sears repair dept would tell you what they have more problems with, an energy star model would be my preference, insulating your pipes with the black foam pipe insulation will stop condensation and help to lower humidity,be sure to use the type with glue on the seams

No it won't.
Condensation is the same humidity in the air just in a different form. Insulation will stop the condensation, but the humidity will still be there, just not visible. Ed
Insulation WILL lower the humidity in the basement because the water he says is dripping on the floor will have ceased. And will not be evaporating in the basement, I said "help lower" maybe 5% .maybe 10%, maybe more. maybe less, Go in your dry basement look at your humidistat , spray water on the floor in 1 hr it will be up 10 % Evaporation
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (mark Ransley) wrote in message

Of course you're forgetting that the water dripping from the pipe was in the air to begin with, once it hits the floor it will re evaporate and go right back into the air. No gain, no loss closed system.
Now, if you wanted to be ultra slick, you could form a sheet metal trough 1" underneath the cold pipe and have it slope towards a collection basin that pumps the water out of the house. Now THAT would act as a dehumidifier and lower your humidity by .02% or something like that. I guess it depends on how cold the pipe is and how humid the air is to begin with. You would never gain enough to feel a difference, but it's pretty cool to make use of physics that are already occuring as a result of other systems. I'd liken it to heating your car with engine heat.
Bobby
To lower the humidity, you remove moisture from the air.
Water condensing on the pipes removes moisture from the air (and drips it on the floor). So, the uninsulated pipes.... lower the humidity.
Different point of view, here. Unless you mean that the black wrap keeps the moisture in the air so it can get to the dehum?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

1) I don't like the whole Sears system. 2) In the AC field, rotary comps are more dependable. And less energy usage. 3) I don't like much about Sears 4) Insullating the pipe will help keep the humidity in the air, instead of on the pipe 5) I never did like Sears very much. They usually have off-spec parts in their devices. The sizes are just different enough that if you want to fix a Sears product, you can't get parts anywhere else but Sears.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

My experience is that rotary comps are quieter, and use less energy.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Please just give up on him. He's a lost cause. I guess he thinks the pipes are somehow creating moisture where it didn't previously exist.
FINE, the CB ,,, Tech ,, aside from it all, I got a 110 yr house , that nipsco checks and re checks , and im the most EFFICENT IN THE STATE .......L ittle things add up ..... ..............CB...........wake up.....
now, withought any outside expense, or B.S. just common sense. I have one of the most eficient houses in the USA
CB cut the BS its true
you have to be registered some how ? my utility bills prove it, fact is its true,, r110 atic r35 walls r 30 to 40 basement r7.5 under conc floor , triple and double pane , tankless water heater , lenox 94% furnace , who do I contact for cert..... Kent Heating my co did , but salesman is N. I.
Phil wrote

There are a couple of models which are suppose to work at slightly lower temperatures than normal ones do you can see them at the following link:
http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?srch sement+dehumidifier
You can also read some additional alternatives to the frosting problem at this link:
http://ng.appliance411.com/links/jump.cgi?IDe7
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+dehumidifier
=~~~~~~