Definition of device for electrical code compliance

I am installing a new 12 guage circuit. I understand code allows 12 devices on the circuit. From reading other postings, it sounds like an outlet with two plugs is considered one device. Is that correct? So I can have 4 recessed lights and up to 8 outlets, each with two plugs and be compliant?
I always thought that a duplex receptacle was counted as 2 devices because you could plug 2 things into it. They do make single receptacles.

A duplex receptacle is one device, a switch is one device and a wirenut is one device. ;-)
A device is " A unit of an electrical system that is intended to carry but not utilize electric energy".
In a dwelling you have no fixed limit on ther number of "receptacle outlets" only that they get evenly spread out across the computed number of circuits. In commercial it is 90va per receptacle (a duplex being 2x90 or 180va)
The reason dwellings don't count up receptacles is they are placed for convenience, not load. (the 6' rule)
In the U.S. the NEC requires 1.5 amps per outlet or 13 max outlets on a 20 amp circuit- only in commercial applications. This does not apply to residential wiring where you need one 15 amp circuit for every 600 sq ft of house, for general lighting. For what you're doing it's best to calculate your particular usage and don't exceed 80% of the capacity of the wire

The short answer to your question, is your circuit is fine

Not knowing where you reside does not help us; however, Canadian Electrical Code does indicate that duplex plug counts as 2 "devices".
Regards,
Justin West
As far as I know, a duplex plug is required in most cases except for certain appliances, and is counted as 1 device in Ontario.