Deer eating hostas and plants - pls suggest repellent method?

Your wife is right--they're beautiful creatures. If I had a field, I'd grow flowers just so I could watch the deer.
Others have probably advised you correctly about fences. I just wanted to mention that I've seen repellants on the Havahart site: http://www.havahart.com/
Not sure if their repellants work, but their traps are great. I do volunteer work, rescuing injured animals, and I've used quite a few of them. But best research the repellants or call the company first.

Better is DIY. Go the your barber and take some of the hair he sweeps up every day. Spread it around the plants. I know two people doing that with 100% results.
The other is to pee on them. Human urine scent keeps them away too. I'm not sure how often you have to do that.

Sause (unless the deer are from S Louisiana)

I live in the woods. Sometimes I have 8-10 deer in the yard. Lots of fawns around now. Deer Off repellant works for me. I reapply once a month or so. I buy the concentrate and apply with a garden sprayer, a good drenching. You can't skimp. Usually the deer won't go near the treated plants, but I've seen one take a nibble of a hosta and then quickly move on.
However, living in the woods there are plenty of other options for them. In more urban areas I think it is harder to dissuade them. On the other hand, you only have to make your stuff less appealing than your neighbors...
Paul F.
On 6/18/2013 8:44 PM, Paul Franklin wrote:

There is a deer highway between my son's and his neighbor's properties, and the deer love hostas. They seem to have habitual territories to range and to feed; my son's hostas get eaten, but the neighbor seems to be more attractive to the deer. Our town has yearly deer hunts, bow and arrow, to cull deer because they are so numerous and cause a lot of auto accidents.
As for landscaping, it might be easier in the long run to either choose plants that deer don't like, or, perhaps, plant what they like around the perimeter to help keep them out of the yard. Lots of plants are labeled as "not attractive to deer"; on-line lists as well.
I've been worrying about chipmunks eating up my newly planted veg. garden, but since a stray cat visited for a couple of days I haven't seen any chipmunks, which have been very numerous.
On Monday, June 17, 2013 9:06:07 PM UTC-4, BobMCT wrote:

We used to see a lot of deer around until we got sheep. Now the deer stay away. Sheep are much easier to fence in or out than deer, but this probably isn't a practical solution for most people.
On Monday, June 17, 2013 8:06:07 PM UTC-5, BobMCT wrote:

It worked for my mother, and she swears by it. I learned it in Field & Stre am or Midwest Outdoors: Get a couple of bars if Irish Spring soap (I doubt if the brand matters, really) and spread some thick shavings around the are a of concern. It will only cost a couple of bucks and is pretty much zero m aintenance, as well as environmentally benign, so it won't hurt to try.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

First thing we tried. (Before commercial repellents).
Didn't work at all.
The commercial repellents worked okay until it rained.
I learned that lesson and got buy a little longer being careful to re-apply right after it rained.
Then we had 3 days of rain. The deer browse in the rain, end result, no Hostas.
--
Dan Espen

Wow! Thanks for all the replies. Interesting reading and entertainment this evening.
FYI - the fence is out as I have a 4' high all around my wooded lot. I've watched the deer seem to step right over it. So I'll try the soap and most likely the repellents recommended. Also, the suggestion to pee on the plants was a good one 'cause us old geezers have to go more often anyway!!!
Happy Summer -

I also cannot put up a fence around my yard. I tried various repellents and Deer Off seems to work the best, but none of them are as good as a motion-sensor scarecrow sprinkler. This is the only thing that works 100% for me.
<(Amazon.com product link shortened) Sprinkler/dp/B000071NUS> Dee