Decorative box extentions

Hi:

I want to put some GFCIs in place of regular duplex outlets. Because the GFCI is about twice the thickness and somewhat wider then the outlet it replaces, I know from past experience it will be a PITA to get the new outlet and the wires back into place.

Extension "rings" will do the job but they look like sh*t.

Does "someone" make an extension ring that tapers out that I could paint to match the wall but would give me 1/2 to 3/4" more wiring room?

Thanks

Reply to
John Gilmer

Hmmm, I never had any trouble fitting one into a standard size box. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

i've had your problem. you could put a gfi breaker in the nearby subpanel. or what we did was install a wiremold kit and put in their deepest surface mounted box but double or multiple width to give us more options for lightswitch and switched outlets lights and fan and outlet for this 1910 bathroom update.

Reply to
buffalobill

The Wiremold "starter" or extension boxes are useful for this app.

believe they make a plastic one as well as the traditional steel. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

It can be a problem with a lot of connections and stiff wires in the box. Then, there's shallow boxes.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Putting in a sub-panel is one of my "long term" solutions to several wiring problems. In the short term I am stuck wtih the "Bulldog" pushmatic main panel. I can't even get NEW replacement breakers of any type (plenty of electricians still have them floating around in the backs of thier trucks.)

In another room, I did use a wiremold as an extension and cut out some of it to make room for a switch. Painted black on a paneled wall it doesn't look TOO bad. That's my fall back position using white paint.

Reply to
John Gilmer

As mentioned, I am aware of that.

Thanks

Reply to
John Gilmer

Leviton makes a single gang white plastic extension ring. They are about $6.00 at Home Depot. I used it in my bathroom and it works and looks fine.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Does it have a "taper" on the outside to sort of blend into the wall?

(I was in HD, not one of the super BIG stores however, and I didn't see what I was looking for. I did pick up some plastic extentions that are meant, I suppose, to build up when covering a wall with another layer of plasterboard.)

Reply to
John Gilmer

Reply to
Mike