deck railings

greetings, i have a wooden deck that i can drop down closer to the grade (lawn) but i would like to get rid of the railings. i would rather add an extra step down from my patio door and lose the railings. so my question is at what point are railings not needed? i know to check with my insurance company but i am still in the planning stages and this is something i am curious about. thanks, cj

Reply to
cj

International Residential Code does not require railings when the deck is 30 inches or less above grade. I would suggest built in benches or planters along the edge, since folks don't always pay attention. TB

Reply to
tbasc

check with your local code enforcement officer.....

they will best know whats up and ultimately pass judgment on your deck

Reply to
hallerb

I don't know where you live but here in Canada, the National Building code says that if a deck is 24" above the ground it has to have railings 36" high, no horizontal members above 4" from the deck and top rail only all spindles 4" on centre. When the deck is 60" or more above the ground, the railing must be 42" high. Basically the same code as a crib for spacing so that a child or baby can not get his head between the spindles or be able to climb.

Reply to
excssnrgy