Darkening vinyl miniblinds

I am light sensitive, so wake up too early, because I hung white mini-blinds. Sleep masks are uncomfortable.
Am considering the below options, weighing aesthetics and finances.
1. Put up curtain rod and hang dark curtains.
Don't like this because would clash with wallpaper (white & gold striped), and expense for rods and (lined?) curtain$ made to order.
2. Buy new, darker mini-blinds.
Don't like this because they'd have to be pretty dark, and I hate to spend the $$. But maybe dark gold would work?
3. Spray outside of existing white mini-blinds with black or other dark paint?
This appeals because of price saving, but do not know whether it's possible to spray outside without leaking into inside. Brushing on individually is too much of a hassle. And would this work, period?
Would appreciate your comments on the above options, and any suggestions for other possibilities.
Clueless

You missed #4. put up plain old room darkening roll up vinyl shades from any hardware store or JCpenny. Available in a variety of colors.
If you paint the mini blinds, the light will still filter between.
No matter what you pick, only curtains will block the light around the edge of the window (perimeter of the shade)
I like roman shades but they can get expensive.
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote in message ...

I bought a few yards of that silver quilted mylar stuff that comes on a roll at Orchard Supply, cut it about an inch bigger all around than the window size, and then pressed it between the blinds and the windows. It works great, almost total darkness, and doesn't cost much. It's also a cinch to place and remove as needed since it sort of molds to shape. I leave mine up, only removing to dust about once a week, and when I wash the windows.
Cheri
On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 13:16:38 -0700, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:

Thanks, Cheri. Sounds like a plan!
Clueless
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

You do not need to hang dark curtains, all you need to do is specify a "blackout lining", which these days comes in many colors including white. The curtains themselves can be any color you want them to be. Good blackout linings on properly designed and installed curtains can get the room dark enough to use as a photographic darkroom.

None of the mini-blind approaches will completely darken the room.

If you're on a budget look into "room darkening shades", which again come in many colors, they don't have to be dark. They don't block _all_ light, some leaks around the sides, but they get most of it and in conjunction with your mini-blinds should get the room very dark.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Thanks, J. Clarke and Pipedown, for very helpful suggestions.
Clueless.
Cost is an issue with vinyl miniblinds??? Time to put you up against the WALL, my friend, WalMart, that is. These things are often on sale at $5 ea or thereabouts at WM and other discounters, a little more for larger ones. Fancier blinds do get much pricier, $50- 100 ea or more. And is true as said above they will leak light around edges. I'm pretty light intolerant myself- my solution- head under the pillow- though this may be questionable from an allergenic hygiene perspective. Let us know how the painting goes, though- thought I was the only one crazy enough to repair these things, Some things I just have to try to see if it can be done...sometimes seem to get satisfaction out of these efforts in inverse proportion to their economic utility. I will confess to having restrung a few in earlier years, when my time on this earth seemed endless...
why not just nail up a piece of plywood? Or sleep at night?
--
Steve Barker