Damn I hate this gettin' old

Page 2 of 2
SteveB wrote:

That depends what happens to the wire on each side of the whole. If you run several cables through the same set of holes it has the effect of bunching the cables together. The ampacity of cable is given in free air. If air cannot readily circulate around each cable the conductor ampacity of the cable should be derated. By how much is a matter of interpretation. That is a job for the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ). -- Tom Horne

You've probably forgotten more than I know. So, I would just suggest you ask the local building codes people or inspector, as this is a way to meet him/them and let em know you intend to do it right. They like those kinds of builders. I'm in the middle of an addition, and I've called mine about six times so far. He said he would rather a phone call than declining approval because someone just didn't get a simple but important item right. I live in a small town. Things may be different where you are. Even though there are national standards, sometimes those little localities can and do have their weird ways of doing things.
Steve

We don't have inspectors here. I'm so far out in the sticks we get our email by UPS. I'm just wanting to follow the code.
--
JC from Gnat Flats

You don't live in Toquerville, Utah, too, do you? Same thing here. No house delivery of mail. Everyone has to go to the post office. UPS goes to post office. But the inspector is a nice guy, and if you approach him right, he'll point you AWAY from the cliffs.
Steve