Cypress

HD has been discontinuing some of their wood products. As a result I now own 105 1x6 8' cypress tongue and groove boards ($1.45 each, was $13). I need some of these to redo my porch and will rip some of them up for trim but that will leave a lot left over. I'm thinking I should build something outdoors with them, it's beautiful stuff with few flaws and very straight. What kind of finish do they need to keep them "natural". Other suggestions?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

I like cypress and have used it for quite a few outdoor items. Tables, bench, chairs, lounge chair, etc. My favorite outdoor finish is Penofin oil. Put a coat on every year or two. It has UV blockers so it helps keep the natural color for a long time.

$1.45 each? You suck! They are easily $15+ today.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Holy crap, Jeff, what have you done?! There was a recent recall on cypress and the stuff is downright dangerous. You are placing you and your family in harm's way by even having that stuff on your property! I am a federally certified Cypress Disposal agent. Ship the stuff to me postpaid and I will dispose of it properly for you. Do not wait - send it out as soon as possible!

Not buying it, huh? Well, you can't blame a guy for trying. Nice score. If you want to keep it 'natural', treat it like cedar and use a good sealer. Be aware that you will be reapplying the stuff every year or two and it is essentially a losing battle in the long run. Here are two good sealers:

The stuff weathers very nicely, and provides a great look. You might want to think about leaving some of it in its real natural state - untreated. Here's a thread with some information on cypress:

RicodJour

A nice gloat. I'm jealous.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

It doesn't *have* to be outdoors, you know. It can make good looking inside furniture.

PS: I hate you!! $1.45 indeed

Reply to
dadiOH

The wainscot in my living room and addition is 1x6 T&G cypress. I found a guy in Naples who sold me 475/l/f for $75. Thought that was a steal.

I haven't done the math but $1.45 may be better.

Reply to
gfretwell

Nope, you got me beat!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

It is pretty neat stuff. I have made a lot of things with it. If you have a biscuit jointer you can cut the T&G off and make wider panels.

This is what it looks like with gloss poly urethane on it.

Using satin makes a less shiny, more natural surface

Reply to
gfretwell

This is the wainscot in the kids play room.

gfretwell

There's a shortage of sand paper where you live?

Reply to
dadiOH