Cypress

HD has been discontinuing some of their wood products. As a result I now own 105 1x6 8' cypress tongue and groove boards ($1.45 each, was $13). I need some of these to redo my porch and will rip some of them up for trim but that will leave a lot left over. I'm thinking I should build something outdoors with them, it's beautiful stuff with few flaws and very straight. What kind of finish do they need to keep them "natural". Other suggestions?
Jeff

I like cypress and have used it for quite a few outdoor items. Tables, bench, chairs, lounge chair, etc. My favorite outdoor finish is Penofin oil. Put a coat on every year or two. It has UV blockers so it helps keep the natural color for a long time.
$1.45 each? You suck! They are easily $15+ today.

Holy crap, Jeff, what have you done?! There was a recent recall on cypress and the stuff is downright dangerous. You are placing you and your family in harm's way by even having that stuff on your property! I am a federally certified Cypress Disposal agent. Ship the stuff to me postpaid and I will dispose of it properly for you. Do not wait - send it out as soon as possible!
Not buying it, huh? Well, you can't blame a guy for trying. Nice score. If you want to keep it 'natural', treat it like cedar and use a good sealer. Be aware that you will be reapplying the stuff every year or two and it is essentially a losing battle in the long run. Here are two good sealers: http://www.cedarbrooksauna.com/store/sun-frog-wood-sealer-1-gallon.html http://www.cabotstain.com/products/product/Australian-Timber-Oil.html
The stuff weathers very nicely, and provides a great look. You might want to think about leaving some of it in its real natural state - untreated. Here's a thread with some information on cypress: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/forum/topic/opinions-weathered-cypress-siding

A nice gloat. I'm jealous.
Joe
Jeff Thies wrote:

It doesn't *have* to be outdoors, you know. It can make good looking inside furniture.
PS: I hate you!! $1.45 indeed <sob>
--

dadiOH
____________________________

The wainscot in my living room and addition is 1x6 T&G cypress. I found a guy in Naples who sold me 475/l/f for $75. Thought that was a steal.
I haven't done the math but $1.45 may be better.

Nope, you got me beat!
Jeff

It is pretty neat stuff. I have made a lot of things with it. If you have a biscuit jointer you can cut the T&G off and make wider panels.
This is what it looks like with gloss poly urethane on it.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/tambour%20door.jpg
Using satin makes a less shiny, more natural surface
On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 12:09:26 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

This is the wainscot in the kids play room.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Kids%20room.jpg
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

There's a shortage of sand paper where you live?
--

dadiOH