Cutting Mosaic Tile Pieces

Anybody have suggestions on how to cut those little (1" x 1") tiles that come bonded to a mesh backer? My area to be tiled doesn't work out to an even inch boundary (surprise!). These seem to be Turkish marble if that makes a difference. I've cut bigger ceramic tiles before by scoring and snapping, but I don't see how to do that on something this small. Ditto with a wet saw.
Don't need a production line solution, only a few (!) to do.
Diamond disk in a dremel??
Thanks, Red
Add pictures here
✖

a wet saw will do it correctly and easily. you don't have to worry about getting fingers near a wet saw blade like you do for a toothed sawblade, as it can't really hurt you as long as it's wet. you can use the side of a blade (gently) to shape tiles.
Add pictures here
✖
On 6/9/2009 10:44 AM snipped-for-privacy@rocketmail.com spake thus:

Nope. Wet saw.
Trick is to figure out how to hold small pieces on the saw. (Best saw to use is the type where the work is stationary and the blade moves past it.) If you're not secure holding the piece with your fingers, get some small scraps of thin wood, Masonite, plywood, whatever, to use as clamps.

✖

Spoke to the rental place, but I'm too cheap to meet their price for the little bit I had to do. Wound up using the diamond disk in the dremel. Worked out ok, need to stop once in a while to let things cool down. lots of dust.
If I ever have to do more than a few, it'll be wet saw for sure.
Red
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 10, 6:56 pm, snipped-for-privacy@rocketmail.com wrote:

Tile nippers are what is normally used for real mosaic work. http://www.mosaicartsupply.com/cuttingmosaictile.htm
The wet saw is for the straight cuts.
✖

Tile nippers are what is normally used for real mosaic work. http://www.mosaicartsupply.com/cuttingmosaictile.htm
The wet saw is for the straight cuts.
Depends. I have used a wet saw to nibble some small pieces into odd shapes. You just have to be very careful.
To the OP: Watch for a wet saw at yard sales, etc. They are incredibly handy, even if you only need one once a year, and will pay for itself on the first job. The one I got cost me $10 at a yard sale, and it's a major brand that costs about $280 at the Borg. Makes the job go a lot easier, and better results.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖