custom roof heater

I want to build a roof deicer. Please don't laugh.
I am looking for a small inline heater that can be exposed to the elements. It will be installed inline with small copper pipe which will lie in a roof valley. The pipe will be full circuited with the lower sections built with flexible tubing; allowing it to snake thru gutters and drain pipes. I am hoping the circulation will provide just enough heat to keep the drain open allowing occasional melt to head for the street.
I suppose this inline heater could be affected with heat tape. The inline heater could also be placed under the eves in a protect position.
Ideas?

Just purchase and install a de-icer that is available.
Here's one example:
http://www.aplussupply.com/easyheat/roof_and_gutter.htm
Shop around. Most gutter outfits can install one for you if the deicers are common in your area.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

I probably will ... but I hear about exposed wires and fires. I thought the liquid thing was safer.

I'm not sure what your definition of "exposed" is. The wires are coated with rubber and never get hot enough that you can't hold them tightly in your bare hand.
I've been using the Easyheat deicing wires for many years. I still get a few icicles, but I have never had major damming on the roof sections that have them. I used to have water leaking into the house before I installed them.
The icicles are much, much smaller on the wired sections than on the one section (garage overhang) that doesn't.
I will add that they make cleaning the gutters a bit cumbersome. I usually don't wory about the condition of the wires during the early spring and summer cleanings. During the late Fall cleaning I make sure all the clips are in place and the wires are layed out properly. I have a dedicated circuit with a GFCI breaker and a swicth with a pilot light so I can tell with a glance if the wires are on.

If you need that you dont have enough insulation.