curious what you thought about my current hot tub maintenance, which is at best very minimal.

I was curious what you thought about my current hot tub maintenance, which is at best very minimal. I change the water about every 3 or 4 months and the only thing that I put in each time is the spa purifier by nature 2 which looks like it's some stones inside a canister and that is it. In fact I don' t even change the outside filter which looks like an air filter in your car, obviously bigger that that. I haven't changed that for maybe a year and a half to two years. I just sort of rinse it down pretty well. I was curious what you thought about this minimal maintenance. Am I going to have any problems health wise or mechanical wise? I appreciate any input you might have. Thank you.

Reply to
steve waco

"steve waco" wrote

You may want to look up mycobacteria or mycobacterium and lung disease caused by airborne bacteria in the water mist coming from improperly maintained tub water. I just read an article on it today and problems with (mostly indoor) hot tubs.

Gary Quality Water Associates

Reply to
Gary Slusser

dam I flush out my sump pump pit more often then that,

Reply to
mark Ransley

Actually, the Nature^2 product you use is minimal maintanence, but not so little as you do. We use that system ourselves.

You need to do the following:

a) replace the Nature^2 cart every 4 months b) Follow the "spa recipe" that comes with the product. Basically this means putting oxidizer shock in once a week, and every time you use the spa. You also use a small amount of clorine to help keep the water clear. c) Clean that filter! It's recommended to do it every couple weeks - -I have to admit I do it much less. But aside from spraying it out regularaly, you need to buy some filter soak and really deep-clean the thing. Actually in your case I'd recommend pitching your filter, and buying two new ones. After that you can properly clean/soak them and have a clean one ready to go (soaking takes at least 24 hours). d) For occasional use, your water change schedule is probably about right. If you use the tub every day, or don't bathe before using it, or have other issues, then you should do a full water change more often. e) Finally, keep an eye on your pH. Too high is better than too low, as that will literally eat your spa alive (acid water).

Hope that helps!

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

Hottub lung is ONLY an issue with indoor tubs. There are no cases at all from tubs that are outside. Just the same, It's an extremely important consideration for people with indoor tubs.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Why do you bathe in a sump pump pit?