Curious hugshake

Page 1 of 2
About three months ago, a couple of my friends started giving me male on male hugshakes. This consists of the two males handshaking each other with their right hands, pulling the other male towards their shoulder, each touching the other's shoulder right front with their own shoulder front, and the left hands patting the other one on the back.
Is this a new style of handshake, or does it have any secret or ritualistic overtones?
Steve

I think it was something that started on TV, so now everyone has to do it. Fist bumps, high fives, etc. I'm not much of a participant in that stuff, I'm just an old fart traditionalist.

And I don't like those dead fish handshakes, nor do I like anything extra that I am SUPPOSED to know what to do and SUPPOSED to understand the meaning thereof.
Steve

have they recently travelled to San Francisco?

Do you live in the hills? geesh, U R behind the times.

If you don't have an answer, please don't post. And what's with that stupid clock around your neck?
Steve
Steve B wrote the following:

It's just a fad. My hugs with my male friends are two handed with both hands and arms around the back of each other, much like brothers would do. I am heterosexual in case you wondered. I am also married to a female and have fathered 4 kids.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Steve B wrote:

Dunno. But if I don't know the implications or meanings of a particular ritual, I'm sure as hell not going to participate in it.

That is the point. I wanted to identify its origin and meaning before continuing to allow it. I prefer a traditional handshake. The fist pounding and high five is a sign of understanding or a celebration, and they are simple expressions. This ons is bulky, and if you are not expecting it, or familiar with it, you almost want to pull away.
Steve

Do you often look for a conspiracy or ulterior motive? You said a couple of buddies started doing it. If you don't trust them or their motives, why are you buddies with them?
Look at it this way - all forms of greeting impart social significance and in many/most cultures also illustrate the social standing between the two people. If your buddies are willing to get in close, they're simply saying they like you a lot - more than just a handshake. It doesn't mean they are trying to get into your pants.
Another way to look at it - harry is against the bro hug. That should be enough to tell you that there's nothing wrong with it.

Unless you have information to the contrary, yes. I assume that Steve B is like most men - slightly repulsive. ;)
On 9/13/2011 11:33 AM, RicodJour wrote:

Seeing some of Steve's responses, I thought that "friends" knowing he had a heart condition were trying to help do him in ;)
the contrary, yes. I assume that Steve

Guilty on both counts.
Steve

Do you often look for a conspiracy or ulterior motive? You said a couple of buddies started doing it. If you don't trust them or their motives, why are you buddies with them?
Look at it this way - all forms of greeting impart social significance and in many/most cultures also illustrate the social standing between the two people. If your buddies are willing to get in close, they're simply saying they like you a lot - more than just a handshake. It doesn't mean they are trying to get into your pants.
Another way to look at it - harry is against the bro hug. That should be enough to tell you that there's nothing wrong with it.
I can tell that you have never felt the grasp of a cultist handshake, or are too ignorant to recognize their subtle inquisition as to whether or not you are one of the "secret" members. Your answer has nothing to do with the question.
And who is harry?
Steve
On 9/13/2011 8:45 AM, Steve B wrote:

Eh...Sounds a little homophobic to me. In some cultures it's common for male friends to kiss. Remember GW kissing the king of Saudi Arabia?
I've noticed handshakes are not as common. Suits me just fine. I never make any gesture anymore. I say hello and hope that's enough. :-)

Sorry. Should have interjected :
TO EXPECT ME
between:
I think it very

and
to be able to interpret variations of a common

Steve

It -was- a "black" thing. Originally intended to place one's hearts together as a gesture of "unity".
Now, it's just ghey. -----
- gpsman

I saw that the other day. It perfectly describes one of my friends. The other is a member of a common secret cult. I mentioned it to him, and we had a laugh. I would do almost anything for my good friend. You can fill in the blanks of the things I would not do.
Steve

It means you're gay?
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
On 9/13/2011 6:03 PM, Larry W wrote: