Crusher on Refer Icemaker stopped working

The crusher option on my refrigerator's icemaker has stopped working although cubes come out fine. It is a 2 year old Kenmore made by Amana. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Reply to
Dave Combs

I'd just use cubes. My wife would bitch about it not working though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The crushed/cubed option is **generally** selected by a solenoid in the back of the freezer which engages a rod in the back of the ice bucket.

Can you post a model number (should start 596.), then we can see what you have.

Reply to
Mad Mac

working

bucket.

Hi and Happy New Years,

This may help....

should be a solenoid behind the ice bucket ( see picture above ) that moves an metal arm on the ice bucket to move the crush teeth away for cubes or keeps the crush teeth in place for crushed cubes. The arm or solenoid may be frozen in place or stuck?!? jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Refrigerator Model 253-51692104 Ice Maker Kit GSI-26

Thanks

Reply to
Dave Combs

Thanks

Reply to
Dave Combs

"The arm or solenoid may be frozen in place ..."

I have found ice in the area displayed in the linked diagram when fixing ice-maker problems on my refrigerator. My remedy was to move the contents to an ice chest and thoroughly defrost the freezer compartment using a fan to blow air into the open door. Takes about an hour. Be prepared to mop up thawed water. SJF

Reply to
SJF