CRAZY ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

MY ELECTREIC IS HAUNTED. I HAVE A 100 AMP SERVICE 220 IN TO 100 AMP BREAKER.LINE 1 SEEMS TO BE OK BUT LINE 2 IS THE PROBLEM.I HAVE OUTSIDE LIGHTS ON LINE 2 A 220 WATER HEATER ON 1 AND 2. When the water heater is disconnected the lights go off. this happens whether i disconnect at heater or remove breaker.the light circuit seems to be lacking power intermittantly?? The lights brown out sometimes any ideas as to what could cause this? thanks

-------------------------------------

Reply to
irideoldschool

It would seem to me that one leg going into the breaker box is defective, either the line/master breaker or something in the box. So, what may be happening is that power is going through the water heater to feed the other leg.

Just my guess, and I am no expert on this. But it would seem that it would have to be this.

Use the voltmeter Luke!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Reply to
RBM

Get a volt meter and check down the #2 bus starting at the 100 amp main breaker. Shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out at what point the voltage drops out. Measure from the return (ground) not earth ground.

Reply to
A. Baum

call the power company its likely one leg is out, probably a bad transformer....

Reply to
bob haller

You may have a bad neutral connection. Measure the voltage at both sides with the hw breaker on and off. If you are getting anything other than the same on both sides around 110vac and the voltage changes when you turn the hw breaker on and off that would be the problem.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I think you have an open neutra,l and the earth ground is replacing the neutral wire. This is normally a problem from the transformer to the house. It can be dangerous. Call the power company, it is their problem. The proper term for a lost neutral is a floating ground. An example of the of a floating ground is, if a refrigerator is on line 1 it will cause lights on line 2 to dim considerably when the frig starts. Call the power company.

Reply to
cottone40511