Craftsman Tractor Trouble Going Uphill

I have a craftsman tractor and on level ground it runs just fine, but if I try to go up a slight incline it slows to a crawl and if I increase the throttle the tractor just stops, not the engine. Any ideas on where to start would be helpful

===========What kind of transmission and is the tranny belt driven? BTW if cutting grass...I have the throttle wide open...control speed of the tractor with the hydromatic transmission on my Cub.
Bob G.
How old is it, how many hours on it if compression is low it just may be worn out, or the govenor may be not working right try cleaning it.
I am willing to bet the farm its a belt driven tranny, Mine did the same thing until I tightened the blet

Replace the drive belt. And while you're at it also replace the mower belt(s). MLD
Tighten or replace the drive belt. Remember that belts wear mostly on the sides so even though the appear OK they may bottom out on the pulleys.