Craftsman lawn tractor weird behaviour

I have a craftsman lawn tractor that has some weird behaviour when I am mowing. It will run fine while mowing for awhile, easily 20-30 minutes. But then it will start to sputter and die. If I stop and disengage the mower blades and wait 10 seconds or so, it will start going again for a few minutes, and then start to sputter and die again. This will happen repeatedly. I've replaced the fuel lines and filter, replaced the spark plug, cleaned the air filter, etc.. I'm using fresh fuel. I've also inspected the carberator, and it seems in good shape. Anybody have any clue as to what might cause this? BTW, the tractor always seems to sputter and die when mowing the same area of my yard, though it will also sometimes happen in other places. But there isn't any unusual slope or anything in that spot. Very strange . . .

Reply to
dblho39

check the fuel cap vent hole...

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Similar thing happened to my lawn tractor. Same part of the yard caused the engine to strain, and then turn off, if the blades were engaged. It turned out to be thin wispy grass that worked its way around the blades, which jammed them, and thereby causing the engine to die.

georgie

That would be my first check. When it does it, just loosen the fuel cap and see what happens. If the engine smooths out, get a new cap.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K