CRACK IN TOILET

I just found a slight leak in my toilet bowl tank. The crack starts at the handle and runs down the side of the tank for about 2 or 3 inches.
Is there a sealant that I can use on that crack without emptying and drying out the tank?
Thanks
Freckles
On 11/9/2013 11:41 PM, Freckles wrote:

I'd not trust it once cracked. Porcelain is not forgiving and it can break instantly causing much damage as the water will continue to run until it is found. It may last 20 years, it may break while you are sleeping tonight.
When you get a new toilet, get the comfort height.

A young couple bought the house across the street from me. They remained in their apartment while they spent evenings and weekends fixing up their new old house. They weren't much into plumbing, so they hired a plumber to replace the fixtures in the 2nd floor bathroom.
The plumber replaced the toilet on Monday. The couple didn't come back to the house until Wednesday. By then the water was running out the back door. They weren't planning on replacing the kitchen cabinets, the ceilings or the hardwood floors on the entire first floor, but that's what they did.
The insurance company determined that the plumber had not tightened the toilet's supply hose properly and it let go sometime after he left. What a mess that was.
On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 04:10:30 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Similar happened to a couple who bought a house across from us, though I don't think work was being done. I noticed water coming out of the siding, both front and back, while walking our friends' dogs. The house was still vacant, so I shut off the water (California, with the water supply and shutoff above ground. Can't do that in the Northeast!) and called the number on the real estate sign.
Turned out to be the toilet supply hose on the third floor; huge mess and resulted in quite a bit of remodeling over the next few months (much paid by insurance, I assume). I immediately checked ours and replaced them -- the originals had a white plastic nut with a fused seam; I could see how overtightening could put pressure on that seam until it breaks eventually. The new ones I got have a gray nut, also plastic but appears to be one single molded piece and thicker. Both styles were at HD under the same SKU.
Josh
On 11/15/2013 9:57 PM, Josh wrote:

On the small chance that they didn't say so:
Thank you, you are a good neighbor. I'm glad that people like you look out for others.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/09/2013 11:41 PM, Freckles wrote:

New johns are so cheap that it is not worth fighting with it.
Had an issue at my last house with a toilet that some "contractors" R&R'd and messed up the pieces between the tank and bowl... rather than spend hours on the interwebs trying to find those pieces a quick trip to Lowe's and a couple hours later I had a nicer looking john in its place.
It's really not worth repairing a toilet, sadly, unless the problem is with the fill valve, flapper, or a gasket, and you know it was installed right and can take the old parts to the store for samples.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Immediately wrap a bunch of 2" packing tape around the tank! Especially over the cracked area. The ceramic will likely eventually fail suddenly and catastrophically, possibly sending a couple of gallons of water cascading onto your floor.
Wrapping tape around the tank will prevent the pieces from falling apart, and should thus somewhat contain the water so you have a chance to soak it up as it leaks out.
Replace the tank or the toilet ASAP. Like today.
--
Tegger

Freckles:
Maybe akwereyum sealant.

Yes, but I'm not going to tell you what it is You should replace the toilet, or maybe just the tank if that is possible. Probably not, in that parts cost so much more than whole items.
Also tegger's suggestion about taping it right away, and replacing it right away after that, sounds good. It won't just be the water in the tank that spills out but the tank will try to fill continuously. If you're away at work or out of town for 9 days, imagine what kind of flood there would be.

4ax.com:
..

Wha... hey, you're right. And on his way out he stole the coat-check receipts. Stop thief! Officer, follow that car!
--
Tegger

On 11/9/2013 11:41 PM, Freckles wrote:

with epoxy, make sure you heat the v with a hot air gun or hair dryer. Then put the epoxy in, and let the gun run over the epoxy a little to make it runny. let it cure.. It should be good. A slow epoxy 30 minute would be better than a 5 minute epoxy, more strength, and just better in general.
--
Jeff

Absolutely. The fix may last 20 years, but it can also fail and cause $20,000 in damage while you are out at the grocery store.
I notice we've not heard back from the OP with a decision of his plan of action.
On 11/9/2013 11:41 PM, Freckles wrote:

The potential for disaster is extreme, and it would be false economy to even THINK about repairing a cracked tank. I know of two instances of broken toilets that let go when homeowner was away....one cost an entire home remodel in a not-very-old house. Once cracked, glass and ceramic tend to extend, whether you repair or not; a little change in temperature is all it needs.
Consider what will happen to your house if the water supply runs for a day or a weekend....

I can tell you-----was away for a few days. The toilet had a small leak through the flapper valve which slowly emptied the tank triggering a refill cycle. The problem was that on one of the cycles the water never shut off in the toilet due to a stuck float in the tank. The tank filled with most of the water running out via the overflow tube-no harm, no foul----what didn't go down the overflow tube ran out through the toilet handle. End result, two bathrooms (up and down) wiped out--cost $25,000. Thankfully insurance covered it all but deductable MLD
On 11/14/2013 7:37 PM, MLD wrote:

--
Jeff

<g> What I didn't say was that from July to Nov we had to put up with the following----- Shower in the Up bath tub--just a sub floor there Wash and shave in the kitchen sink Use toilet in down bath--all open, just studs-bathroom was completely gutted due to the water running down from above. Fun was had by all--Not to mention dealing with all the trades--plumber, electrician, carpenter, tile man, painter, city inspections, required upgrades to meet code and who remembers what else--oh yes, insurance company was an constant battle. MLD

The problem is that these sorts of claims make insurance companies really cranky.
Crack is an illegal drug. If you have crack in your toilet, flush it immediately before the cops come.