CPVC pipe, what is that?

Page 2 of 2

S. Barker wrote:

Not glue rated only for PVC or ABS. The glue has to be rated for CPVC to give good glue joints on CPVC. They sell universal glue for all three plastics, but CPVC glue will work on PVC and ABS as well.
I know somebody who used ABS glue on PVC and ended up with a leak that caused the foundation to sag.
Add pictures here
✖

Rich is correct. It is rated for hot water service, slightly different color than PVC, takes a different glue and is sized so pvc and cpvc fittings and pipe cannot be intermixed.
At one time there was IIANM a glue that could be used on either but I haven't looked in at least 20 years.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

Chlorinated polyvinyl chloride -- similar to PVC, but tolerant of higher temperatures. PVC pipe is not rated for use with hot water under pressure; CPVC is.

Yep.
Nope.
You need cement that's rated for use with CPVC. Most cements sold for use with PVC can be used with CPVC also, but not all. Check the label. You want one that's labelled for both.

That's totally up to you, depending on your budget, your skill level at sweat-soldering copper pipe, and whether you prefer the appearance of copper or plastic.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 3, 4:37 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:
example.com> wrote:

Budget is a big one. CPVC fittings and pipe are a pittance compared with copper.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 3, 6:37 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Hold on a minute. Have you noticed HD & Lowes has CPVC that is labeled by the manufacturer as 'cold only'? Of course it's mixed in with all the other CPCV so most do not notice the label. That brings on many questions.
Red
Add pictures here
✖

I'd like to check that but we don't have either in my immediate vicinity. Do you have a cite for it?
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
Red wrote:

I found CPVC pipe at Lowe's that was compatible with PVC fittings, but I found no CPVC fittings there. The Lowe's employee suggested using the PVC fittings, even though I repeatedly said that I was going to run hot water through it.
Another time, I couldn't find any copper fittings at Lowe's (they weren't located next to the steel and PVC ones) and a person who had worked in the plumbing dept. for three years asked another employee, "Do we have something called 'copper fittings'?"
Then there was the Lowe's employee who insisted that type N mortar was as strong as type S. I went to Ace hardware, and when I asked about the difference between their Super Mix and Super Mortar, they not only gave me the right information but also told me the PSI rating of each type of mortar. Also the price was no higher than Lowe's price.
Add pictures here
✖
their not the same size anyway...

✖

At least none that I have ever seen.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
In article <6907eb66-ac14-4e8a-bd0f-

No you didn't. They're not the same size.
Add pictures here
✖
Doug Miller wrote:

They fit the cream colored CPVC that was in stock there.
Add pictures here
✖

Go with the cpvc pipe. This is just for the relief valve and hopefully it will never relief. It should be open on one end and not have too much pressure on the joints. Much cheeper and easier to work with. Even if the joints fail, most likely if you are not around to get burnt, the most dammage will be just water damage.
Add pictures here
✖

Walter,
You can get a transition fitting (brass/CPVC) at Lowes. Look for this one as it will fit on the relief valve, and then pipe the rest of the distance with CPVC.
See JPG:
http://www.aymcdonald.com/NewProdImages/2111VF-2111VM-a.jpg

Add pictures here
✖

Why would you need that? All that should be needed is a male (or female) CPVC adapter. Screw rights into (or onto) the the relief valve.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

and a union so you can R&R the water heater without cutting, if such is important to you.
nate
Add pictures here
✖

Ah yes, I overlooked that. Of course considering teh quick and cheap 'chop and splice' with plastic pipe...
Unions and old houses. When I replaced the pipe in this house I had to start from the fartherest point from the entry point and undo it. there wasn't a union anyplace.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
metal cutting blades in the sawsall work great for that dilemma.