Cow Proof Fence? Not Electrified

Hi and Happy Holidays,

What would take to build a fence that cows could not break through or jump over? We have a recurring problem with a neighbor's cows breaking through our fence. We are looking for an alternative to an electrified fence (I posted a separate query about electrified fences the other day.) The problem area is at most 25..30 feet but we might get by with a 10 foot section. The fence is at the top of slope which makes it more difficult for them to jump over it. We have seen them break through and there were more than on animal pushing. We are in Costa Rica where during the upcoming dry season the pool and irrigated plants will be irresistible.

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
Abby

Strong posts and hogwire. All that is needed are posts that they cannot break or push over plus wire they can't crawl through - it's not rocket science.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I would bet that a 6 foot high wood fence that the cows could not see thru would do the trick. They tend to go thru places that they can see thru. Around here, such a fence would cost a bit over $100 if installed yourself, and it doesn't have to be substantial, --- just something that blocks their view.... As a plus, you could decorate the "inside" part part with hanging plants, or shelves, or whatever. You could paint the "outside" pink, to piss off your neighbor....

(big grin)

Reply to
Robert

Plus a strand of barbed wire on top. Or it they are good jumpers, longer posts and two strands of barbed wire.

Reply to
harry

Pink is an acceptable colour in Costa Rica.

Reply to
harry

Cheap and easy. Get a load of wooden pallets and stand them up along the fence on the cow side. Fasten them to the fence wire so they will stay upright. Try to get as many pallets with a full compliment of boards as possible. You may have to add some boards.

The cow will always try to get feed on the other side of the fence, even if grass is green and belly high on their side. If it's hard for them to see, they will go elsewhere.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Barbed wire supposedly tamed the American West. Ten foot treated

4x4s set 4 foot in. Five strands of barbed wire on the critter side. Others suggested something solid so the cattle can't see your stuff. Maybe add that to your side? It's on that very long list of things I've never heard of doing. Have you ever seen cattle guards? My dad's neighbor had a couple. He also had an old cow that could get through or over a fence. She never went through a cattle guard as far as anyone knew. His guards were several pipe perpendicular to the road. There was a little trench under the guard. I want to say it was only a foot or two deep. A bit here from Wikipedia:
Dean Hoffman

My alternative to that problem would be to shoot them as they come thru and make steaks out of them. if the neighbor can't control his cows, thats his problem.

Just kidding.... I would suggest using barb wire and strong posts.

Reply to
rlz

Hi, Texas gate.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hasn?t worked here. Brahmas maybe more pain tolerant? Maybe a different wire?

The fence is close to the house and the views here are amazing. Something tall would be an detraction. I would like to extend the property line down the slope where anything we put up is out of view. The cow's owner refused a similar request by the previous owners. Allegedly, he has a problem with the community's developer and is taking it out on the homeowners.

I remember them. I like that idea. Some small plantings in front and it would not even be visible.

My best idea so far is cables stretched between very strong, reinforced poles.

Pura vida, Gary

Reply to
Abby

I have considered loading them onto a truck and selling them. The family who extracted extracted the cow from the pool could keep the proceeds from one and the rest go to the children's home. We will be getting legal advice.

Pura vida, Gary

Reply to
Abby

I've been to Costa RIca twice and have seen those "large cows" of which you speak...

The success control strategy that I saw was large diameter steel pipe fencing .... IIRC it was nominal 2" pipe (2.375" OD) welded constrution about 6' tall with horizontal members at 2', 4' & 6'.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Being a farmer myself, I have horses, but the neighbors have cattle. I have 6 foot tall fence posts with 5 strands of with barbed wire, where the cattle are. The rest of my fences (only for the horses), are just 2 strand electric on metal t-posts (3 strands where the small ponies are, because they tend to roll under the fences without that lower wire).

I also have one strand of electric fence on the barbed wire line fences, (on my side) mainly to keep the horses away from the fence, because horses have thin skin compared to cattle and can easily get cut up on barb wire.

You'll save a lot of money using an electric fence. compared to the cost of materials for other fencing types. You can get a solar fencer that dont need electricity too. They work well as long as you have enough sun.

Reply to
homeowner

A local farm has those and they work well. To enter his farm requires no gate. Just drive over them, but the cattle never walk over them. Probably expensive to install though.

Reply to
homeowner

It's easy to see why the real cattle guards work. Cattle are afraid of falling through. What gets me is the virtual cattle guards on the highways in the Wikipedia article. I wonder if just laying some brightly painted 1" or smaller pipe on some boards would have the same effect.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Here we go. Here come the million and one excuses why the simplest, most ob= vious, most cost effective solution cannot possibly work. Here come the mil= lion and one suggestions of convoluted, contrived, complicated, expensive, = impossible methods to solve an otherwise simple benign problem.

I know, let's genetically engineer some giant wood nymphs to patrol the fen= ce line 24/7 and chase the cows away!

Look, it's either you have dead cows in your pool every other day, or you l= ose some of the view. These cattle are NOT going to stop for anything that = is not solid and/or electrified.

If you want the view, get a bigger pool skimmer.

Reply to
dennisgauge

obvious, most cost effective solution cannot possibly work. Here come the m= illion and one suggestions of convoluted, contrived, complicated, expensive= , impossible methods to solve an otherwise simple benign problem.

ence line 24/7 and chase the cows away!

lose some of the view. These cattle are NOT going to stop for anything tha= t is not solid and/or electrified.

Yep, I got the clear impression that she isn't interested in any reasonalbe ideas a couple days ago.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

We hold buffalo out here w/ "bob" wire. It is, of course, more than just 4-strand and it's 6" posts on 8- or 10-ft centers and 7-ft high, but it holds 'em.

What you need is to build a fence that is actually a fence instead of some pansy-livered imitation of a fence if that's the objective.

--

Reply to
dpb

The cattle guard has been mentioned a half dozen (and now 7) times, and it's cheap, easy, effective, and won't block the view.

Reply to
Smitty Two