cost of single treatment for carpenter ants?

We had an exterminator out to treat our house for a carpenter ant problem. I'm a bit leery about the exterminator we used, but it's been a banner summer for insect troubles and he was the only one that called back.
What should be the cost or cost range (roughly) of a single treatment (spraying outside, baiting inside) for a modest sized house (2000 sq ft.)? We live in upstate NY.
Thanks.
-J
PS. I am fully aware of the ramifications of having a carpenter ant problem.
Probably too much. Shotgun approach is expensive, and often contaminates dog, cats, kids.
DAGS on this. Many have studied carpenter ants. I was fortunate to tap some results a few years ago.
Over-simplified: they make their nests in moistened/rotting wood, typically outdoors, and forage in your house for whatever dietary delight excites them at the moment. If you track them back to their nest entry, and apply appropriate substance(s) there, they will become dead. Removing/repairing damaged woodwork helps, too.
Mine are now gone. It took a couple $ worth of moderate nasties, and an hour or two of effort tracking them. Before that, I could hear them marching.
It's your $, J
Actually,
What I am trying to determine is if the exterminator is trying to gouge me?
I'm wondering what is a reasonable cost for the treatment I described. He was done in less than an hour.
Thanks.
-Jonathan