Cost of New Buderus System (oil) in Boston???

Hello,

I am in the process of replacing the original oil boiler in a 52 years old house in Mass and was wondering if any experts here can tell me whether the bids I received are reasonable. After doing some homework I decided to go with Buderus, although Burnham tankless seems to be $1000 less. I'd also appreciate if someone can tell me if I need a 120,000BTU unit for a 1600 square feet ranch style house with baseboard heat. Thanks in advance.

Quote #1:

Buderus G115-28, 98,000 BTU, Riello F3 Oil Burner, & S120 32 Gallons Indirect Water Heater

Price: $5840

Quote #2:

Buderus G115-34, 120,000 BTU, Riello F5 Oil Burner, & tfi-everhot (Therma-Flow) 40-Gallon Indirect Water Heater

Price: $6184 (String: I have to sign up for automatic oil delivery)

Quote #3-4:

Burnham V84 tankless, $4280 to $4400, and about $850 for a tank.

Reply to
J.L

Slantfin has a nifty little app that will give you a ballpark figure for boiler size. 120000 btu sounds excessive, but only a competent pro can tell for sure.

Reply to
Clark Griswold

Sure, but they need more information. Type of construction? Insulation in wall? Insulation in ceiling? Window size, type, exposure?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

J.L posted for all of us....

Did anyone do the calcs? #2 sounds big to me but then I can only compare it to my similar house in PA which doesn't get as cold as you. Again this is a WAG so get the calcs.

Reply to
Tekkie