Cost for impact windows?

Too many hurricanes lately! Been thinking about having impact glass windows installed, but don't want to sit through an endless parade of window peddlers until I establish pricing and other criteria.

Any suggestions as to price and what to ask for or look for in an impact window? How about a good online source. Seems like every search I do takes me to "Sears sign up for an estimate" page.

Reply to
frankallen

I was looking to go that route but the more I thought about it, the less I liked the idea. True you don't have to put the shutters up but what if something flies into the window. True it won't penetrate but it will smash the window to smithereens. How much will that replacement glass cost you?

Reply to
JerryL
1) Sears is over priced & waste alot of time on an estimate.

I read a helpful article online at :

(as an example, I wasn't aware that you had to change the window frames too; i.e you can't just install impact resistant glass in window frames.. stuff like that) I also pasted a paragraph below.

I wouldn't recommend impact resistant window film. ( if you're going to do it, get impact resistant windows/glass)

I went to Miami dade County's web site & they had a search function that lets you select an item (windows) & building materials- I chose impact resistance, and it pulls up a list of building code compliant companies that installed impact resistant glass. Maybe your city has a similar online function ?

Dave Olmstead, spokesman for PGT Industries in Venice, Florida, agrees that no matter how strong a window is the attachment to the building structure is critical. Olmstead says a window that is 53-inches by

76-inches would have 28 square feet of exposure, and with a wind speed of 146 mph from a category 4 hurricane would result in a load on the window equivalent to 1,958 pounds of pressure. For the window to perform correctly, the load has to be transferred to the building itself, which is done by using suitable anchors to transfer the load from the window or door frame to the rough opening without causing failure.
Reply to
webmz

Roll a shield. Metal screen that covers the whole window. Can be electrically raised and lowered.

Reply to
SQLit

Very good reading. Funny thing though, a Big Ass Sears ad popped up in the page. Can't get away from them. :)

I realize I need to replace the frame too, but haven't been able find any prices on the web. If it's too expensive, I'll just stick with plywood shutters. If it's in the area of $500 per window, (with me installing) I may consider it.

Thanks!

Reply to
frankallen