Corrosion on Condensing unit fins

LIttle 2-ton Heil R22 system, 1 1/2 years old. Cools tiny brick bungalow in midwest US.

Dogs are all female: no peeing on unit. I hose it down every time I run the weed-whacker.

Condensing unit fins near ground level turning grey/white with some kind of corrosion. Doesn't look nice, couldn't improve heat dissipation.

Spray the corrosion with some kind of preserving lubricant?

Thx, Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller

Reply to
Puddin' Man

I think it's oxidation of the metal, probably aluminum. Don't really know if you need to be concerned about it interfering with the operation especially if it's on just a couple rows of fins.

Reply to
Meat Plow

If you are spraying with hard water - STOP! it is probably deposits from the hard water. Only use soft water.

udarrell :-)

Reply to
udarrell

Nooooooo problem.

I'll start building the still in the back yard tomorrow.

Run it half-time for the soft water to clean the CU. Other half for that "Good Cohn Likker".

Kill 2 boidies with one stone. Eh?

"Fix my supper, let me go to bed. I've been drinking white lightnin', done gone to my haid!" - -from "Viola Lee Blues", Noah Lewis, maybe 1927

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Aluminum is a reactive metal protected by oxide. However when corrosion occous it can literaly lay the copper coil bare. You should have the coil coated with a polymer This can be brought in spray cans and goes under various names Kole Kote Etc.

Reply to
Telstra