Correction

Forgive me, but I made a mistake in an earlier posting. The corrected version follows:
I recently moved into a new apartment which had a very peculiar bathroom wall finish -- a sort of rose-pink in color, but seemingly given a thin coat of whitewash. Also, the surface is pitted.
I have a feeling someone spent a lot of money making this mess, and I'll have to spend a lot to clean it up. I doubt of a coat of spackling would do the job.
To see what I'm talking about, see this page:
http://www.guilfordnews.com/wall.htm
Any ideas welcome.

coat
do
It looks to me like they simply sponge painted some pink over the white painted walls (which look semi-textured to begin with).
You probably just need to give it a good coat or two of regular paint over it and see how it goes.

For gods sake, the man just said it was pitted, so it's a texture finish. What's so bad about it? Why don't you just paint it as is?
Have it skimcoated, you call it spackle, but joint compound will work. Wash it , sand it, then coat it and sand. You may want to get a pro.
Ray Jenkins wrote:

Pitted as in spray on/knockdown dry wall texture? That's what it looks like, sorta, hard to tell because there is nothing for scale and the photo is fuzzy.