Corner gets driven over - how to stop?

Page 2 of 4

That's the best one yet. My son had to put 3 18" diameter rocks on his corner lot to stop the short-cutting, but after a couple of years the grass looks fine. The city never said anything since it helped the snowplows find the corner that was otherwise obscured by snow.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 18:56:18 -0800, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Yes, if you go the rock route, make sure they're as large as possible and unlikely to move. I remember my dad once found one of about 10" diameter in the middle of the road - it *had* been on a corner, but someone else had hit it and obviously couldn't be bothered to move it from where their car had dragged it.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 20, 10:36 am, Jules

In many localities that area is an easement right of way for the road. If you put something in it and the results are damages to someones car they can force you to pay for those damages. So I'd think twice about putting stuff out there that people might run over.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 08:36:07 -0800, jamesgangnc wrote:

Makes sense... my dad lives over in England, so I'm not sure what the rules are there, but probably very similar (after all in theory these things are decided by common sense ;)
Purely speculation, but maybe it matters whether it's a free-standing structure or fixed with a bit of concrete bedding. There might be local laws about whether a rock can even be placed at all (I don't think we're allowed to put anything - other than a mailbox - within so many feet of the roadside here even though the property line extends right up to the edge. I think that's a DOT law, not a town planning thing)
Either way, if it were me I'd seek advice from local authorities first as they can surely advise on best course of action according to local rules (and/or get things fixed as necessary)
cheers
Jules
Add pictures here
✖
Zootal wrote:

Bury the end of a 2 foot length of 4x4 a few inches deep into the ground where they are driving, so it looks like something that will damage the vehicles. Repeat as needed.
My neighbor installed vertical chunks of granite, which have cut down the problem for him.
Add pictures here
✖

Our town recently made an ordinance that nothing can be in the right of way. I bet if somebody complained the homeowner would get in trouble. Doesn't seem fair.
Add pictures here
✖

Large rocks.
For ammusement. The day you put them out, just put one or two in the key spot. Load up a few of leaf bags full of leaves and put around the rock. Enjoy.
Add pictures here
✖
I could give you all sorts of advice and alternatives, but I don't live where you do, so I will not waste your time, since it may be all different where you live. I'd take it to City Hall and ask them what to do. But then, you might be opening a can of worms, as they will send a crew to fix the curb, followed by a bill. I would investigate anonymously if you could put a boulder. If you can legally do it, your problem will go away in a day or two.
Top posted for your convenience, as anyone who is following this thread has already read the body once.
Steve

Add pictures here
✖
-snip-

Oh no! He's been assimilated by the mormon.
Find your snippers, man!
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

For the record, I am making a concerted effort NOT to top post, and to snip my posts this year. In some cases, after the thread has gone on for a while, I believe that if a person doesn't know what's going on, they don't have the right to kvetch about top posting, and besides, top posting to a long starter post is easier for me than posting it all again when you're answering the whole body of the post. Now, if you're just replying to one section of the post, then snip and answer that one part.
Or just top post EVERYTHING and then your banner for your favorite religion du jour.
And, for the record, I was UNassimilated by the Mormons when I asked to be removed from their records in 1981.
So, bottom line, I'm trying to do better, both in the areas of top posting/snipping, and scriptural paths.
But not to worry, if I ever feel Mormon engulfment again, I shall put out a call for help.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 19:00:26 -0800, Steve B wrote:

So why include it at all?
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 19:00:26 -0800, Steve B wrote:

Top post is not read by autoreaders some people rely on.
Add pictures here
✖

I shall put that in the "stuff I didn't know before" file. Thank you.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 15:09:28 -0600, Zootal

There is another way you can go. Set 8x16 concrete blocks in there about 12" apart (railroad tie sort of thing) and be sure they are proud of the soil line a bit with a 4-" deep gap between them. It would be unpleasant to drive over but do no serious damage
Add pictures here
✖
Zootal wrote:

If you could find some railroad torpedoes and place them between some steel plates for the miscreants to run over, perhaps that would get their attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOCzwoWozC8

TDD
Add pictures here
✖
I hadnt seen any of those since my grandfather died. He ran a depot for the G&F railroad and we found a wooden box of them in the attic.
Jimmie
Googling them, and reading about the fourth answer down, it describes them and their use. They were actually small pieces of dynamite. They were put on dark tracks where a train had broken down, and sometimes had to be put miles away from the stationary train by a railway worker walking on the tracks. They had to be far enough so that any approaching train would have room enough to stop.
They were discontinued when radio, cell phone, and electronic monitoring outdated them. They were packed from the factory in wooden boxes and mixed with sawdust. You had both a neat antique, and something VERY dangerous in your hands.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖

I used to spend a lot of time with my grandfather at the depot when I was little. The G&F was going out of business and their usually wasnt a need for the train to stop. Grandpa would put a couple of these out on the tracks if he had outgoing freight. Not having to stop at every little whistle stop helped keep the train on time. I've cut a couple open before and they are not dynamite. Smelled and burned more like match heads. They give a pretty good blast when the train runs over one but I've hit them with a sledge hammmer and its not even like a good firecracker. IF you put one in a fire it just fizzles and burns. My guess is because the wrappings on them dont provide much of a containment for the blast. You need the wheel on the train to really compress it enough to get a good explosion.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖
wrote

I used to spend a lot of time with my grandfather at the depot when I was little. The G&F was going out of business and their usually wasnt a need for the train to stop. Grandpa would put a couple of these out on the tracks if he had outgoing freight. Not having to stop at every little whistle stop helped keep the train on time. I've cut a couple open before and they are not dynamite. Smelled and burned more like match heads. They give a pretty good blast when the train runs over one but I've hit them with a sledge hammmer and its not even like a good firecracker. IF you put one in a fire it just fizzles and burns. My guess is because the wrappings on them dont provide much of a containment for the blast. You need the wheel on the train to really compress it enough to get a good explosion.
Jimmie
What I figgered, too, after watching the guy do a demonstration in youtube, fireworks, kind of ......... railroad torpedos. He said they smelled like caps. When I was a kid, and you could buy such hazardous devices that they outlaw now, we had cap guns. We would take a roll and smack one little cap after another to make a bang. Then we would take a whole roll and make a BIG bang, like a good firecracker.
But I did read in that other Google report from an old railroad article that they were actually made of dynamite, and some explosives will burn and not explode. It takes the impact of something to get them to pop. The guy in the youtube pic did drop a hammer on one, and it popped, but like you, I think the compression of the wheel would make a louder pop. The train yard police used to carry cherry bombs as big as your thumb with water proof fuses to throw at hobos, too.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖
Steve B wrote:

The report about them being dynamite may have been a reporter who didn't know any better. These days, reporters often think all rifles are AK-47.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
The Daring Dufas wrote:

They use their handy gun-identification chart:
http://www.mwilliams.info/images/gunchart.jpg
Add pictures here
✖