Cordless drill comparison - DeWalt and Ryobi

Page 2 of 2
brewman snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I was building a gym in my backyard when the handyman left his cordless drill one day. After that I had to have one.
I started with a Bosch hammer drill. But it weighed like 25lbs and was also refurbished without the refurbished part...So I sent it back.
B&D Firestorm 24V 1/2" 2 speed cordless hammer drill. 450in-lb torque. $99
Keyless chuck with the 2 handed attachment whatever its called. 2 batteries and a charger. This thing is more than good enough for around the house. It has never let me down, and I am completely satisfied with it. Plus a nice case. Only extra feature I find I could use is a leveller bubble. Other than that, why go away from B&D? know your role. What was wrong with your B&D that you didn't like it?
--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

I bought a 12V Makita and am very happy, I am not a professional that may require a long time between charges but do a lot of handy work at home and semi heavy screw driving.
Also bought a Makita hammer drill, corded, excellent. Like the way the chuck grip.
Both Makita about $100 each.
My 36 year B&D is tired but still operational, my 2 year old battery B&D went in the garbage.
MG
Thanks to all who responded - it was a great help. I ended up getting both a Makita cordless 14.4V 1/2" drill-driver and a Makita corded 9.16" hammer drill. They're running a rebate on cordless drills $20 - $75 depending on what you get. Used the cordless a little this weekend and can already tell the quality difference from my old B&D. And the corded hammer drill is great - drilled into concrete block with no problem. Only wish the case was a little better designed. I have to take off the side handle and depth gauge to put it in the case. Other than that I think I'll be pleased with both drills.
Thanks again to all.
Makita's are real nice. Metal transmission in there too (at least my 14.4 does)
Only problem that I had was when using it to mix some cement it started to smoke up a little and the transmission was getting beatup.
Ok not the fault of the drill but let me tell you this thing mixed up a 5 gas pail of cement without much of a problem. In any case I got it repaired and will by a crap drill next time I am at a garage sale for this purpose.
All other jobs it never let me down at all.
Tom
For the money the Ridgid is the best out there.I bought a 12V and it came with a right angle impact driver and 2 batteries with a Universal charger for $129.00 My Ryobi table saw caught on fire while ripping a 2 x 6. I bought it to do laminate flooring because it is light weight, but I figured it could have handled a rip like that. You would think Ryobi would have put thermal protection in it. So needless to say I will never buy another Ryobi product again
--
On My Way
My Ryobi table saw caught on fire while ripping a

Which model do you have? I have the BT3000 with the sliding miter for over 14 years and I burn up my belts couple of times because the blade got dull or I was using the wrong blade. Other than that its a good saw, put it in my truck, take it anywhere, and lug it to the 3 floor for some projects. Try that with a contractor or a 400 plus pound cabinet saw. I have no problems ripping 2x6s although I would not rip too many 4x4s without giving it a good rest for the motor to cool down.
Just remember this sucker is under power. Keep your electrical cord extension short or provide the proper gauge extension. Use a thin kerf blade, rip or combination - cross cut blades is a no-no. Make sure your fence is parallel to the blade or you see smoke or worse have a kickback - happens with any saw.
I did over 2,000sf of laminates with it so far - its been good table saw and couldn't ask for more. Hardly ever use my miter saw except for floor moldings.
Hi Fred I'm not sure of the model right now but I bought it last year and did about 1500sf of flooring with it. It works good for just what you said, light weight and small enough to fit in the van. This one has the sliding miter but it is a direct drive (basically a skillsaw upside down)
I bought a Ridgid TS2400 with rolling base because I needed to get a saw for this job that was starting a day later and did not have time to wait to get it fixed. I'm going to convert it to a router table.
--
On My Way