copper water pipe underground solder connections

Greetings,
Why are you not allowed to solder copper pipe which is going to be installed underground? I want to be very clear what question I am asking. I am not asking for 10 responses stating that I must not solder copper pipe to be used underground or why don't I just use a compression fitting. I know that. I am asking why I am not suppose to? I am not asking for the reason "because someone said so". I am asking about the underlying reason.
Thank you very much for your time and energy, William
snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com wrote:

Water utilities don't allow soldered connections anywhere in the service lateral, esp before the meter.
They are concerned about the mechanical integrity of any joints which could later on (think- 100 years) leak, possibly resulting in revenue loss.
For services, the only coupling or terminating fitting allowed is a flare fitting AFAIK. Compression fittings are out along with soldered ones.
Hope that's what you were asking.
Jim

I actually did not know that this was not allowed, I have seen it done and even worked on them. However, if you have ever tried to solder copper below grade you would know why it is frowned upon.
I was taught that soldered connections in contact with earth react chemically and deteriorate as a result of an induced di-electrical reaction. Would not bet the farm on it....
-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com
Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.

below