Copper to PVC adapter

I've torn out an old shower stall that is in off our master bedroom because it was leaking badly and had ruined the 2x4s on the threshhold and some of the surrounding studs. The original construction was tile over plain drywall for the walls and a concrete/cement shower pan which I used a sledgehammer on to break it up and haul it out. Under the pan was just the subfloor. I want to use tile on the walls again and a fiberglass/plastic shower pan over mortar and 3/4 plywood base over the subfloor.
The original drain connected to a 2" copper pipe using a lead/oakum joint. My question is as follows. I know that there are adapters (Fermco, etc.) that will connect cast iron and PVC but I don't know if they would work w/copper and PVC. The copper pipe is 2" ID and 2 1/8" OD. The only adapters that are close are 2" OD. Am I going to have to use a copper reducer and the adapter? Short of replacing the drain piping underneath the subfloor, what would be the best method to use in this case (assuming local codes allow it)?
Thanks. Casey
_____________________________ Remove the nospam to email me
Casey Stamper wrote:

Fernco makes a No-Hub style coupling expressly for joining 2" Cu to PVC/iron pipe sizes. You won't find it at HD/Lowes; check at a real plumbing supply house.
If there was a Cu trap under the shower, I would replace it with a PVC trap and make the coupling further back.
Jim

Thanks for the reply. I've been to 4fermco.com (or whatever it is) and I've looked through their products. I was leaning towards the no-hub style - based on researching this a bit. What makes you say that the coupling should be farther back and to replace the trap w/PVC? Is there more likelihood of a leak closer to the drain because of flexing, etc.?
Casey
Casey Stamper wrote:

I replace the trap only because I'm not fond of the very tight radius in the typical Cu trap; mkaes it very hard to snake. Other than that, make the coupling where it will be most convenient.
Jim

I suppose one man's convenience is another man's PITA :) I _could_ cut out the subfloor and replace when I'm done, I guess, but for me, it would be much more convenient to cut the pipes to length and use the adapter. What about the 2 1/8 OD copper pipe? Would the adapter stretch that much (I'm thinking not) or am I looking at rebuilding the whole works from further down the chain?
Casey
Casey Stamper wrote: <SNIP>

Hmmmm Some misunderstanding here. The shower pan will have a drain fitting which accepts 2" PVC. That's bigger OD than 2" Cu. Search Fernco for the correct adapter 2"pipe to 2" Cu.
You extend the drain upward with PVC so it fits *inside* the drain fitting in the pan. Then a "calking ring" gets driven down from above (you're sitting in the pan) to complete the connection. This way you just drop the pan down over the pipe extension. More here: http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/showskus.asp?ctg &subctg=4&prodgrpid8
Jim

Thanks Jim. I bought one of these: http://www.fernco.com/NH.html. Let's hope it works/fits when I take it home. At worst, I'm out $3.75.
Casey