Cooktop

I am thinking about removing my 30" cooktop and replacing it with a newer model.

From what I understand, it is just a matter of putting in the new one, and hiring a qualified electrician to hook it up.

Has anyone here done this, and can you give me any tips? It seems that every time I do something, it turns into a bigger project than I was told it would be.

Many thanks.

Kate

Reply to
Corinne

You don't even need an electrician since the stove if it is a freestanding one should have a plug on it. Pull you old one out and see how it is attached!

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

Kate, we wanted to do that and found that there is very little standardization in the countertop cutout requirements for cooktops, brand to brand and model to model. I'd suggest carefully measuring your current cutout and then taking those measurements with you when you shop for your new cooktop. Your undercounter spacing and existing cutout space will restrict your options.

We found there was nothing available to drop in to replace our 35 year old cooktop withour replacing the countertop.

- Dewolla Stepon

Reply to
Dewolla

Very true! The best chance of getting a replacement which will fit into the existing opening in the counter top (with alterations to it) is finding one made by the same manufacturer as the original. That goes for built in wall ovens too.

You can read about whom makes what brand at the following link:

JFYI

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Sorry, that should have said:

JFYI

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

I replaced by cooktop. New cooktops do not have pilot lights and are electrically ignited. You need to have a 120 v outlet under the counter. Also you may have to upgrade your gas line if the old one is too small. Look where the gas nipple is placed on your new range. You may have to move your gas line to accomodate a different gas nipple placement. Measure your cutout on the counter and make sure that the new cooktop will fit the existing cutout, unless your are willing to enlarge it. In my case my cutout was on the counter was large and I had no choice but to purchase a five burner cooktop, which turned out to be nice upgrade. We purchased a Frigidare, which has turned out to be fantastic cooktop.

Reply to
CK