Construction Crane Question

There's a construction project going on next to my office. They recently used a big yellow moveable crane to construct a fixed tower crane, picture at

What's the advantage of the fixed tower crane over the moveable one? I suppose it's because it can lift and lower things anywhere in the site without needing wide open spaces to get close enough, but thought someone here may have a better answer.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Better power to weight ratio seems the chief benefit, and might mean lower operating costs as well.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

The reach, load rating and the fact that most tower cranes can build themselves up much higher than a mobile crane.

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle