Condensate pump drain for humidifier frozen

I have a gas furnace with a humidifier that has a portable drain pump that pumps water from my humidifier outside through a small ( I think 1/4" line) to the outside. It has been frigid cold in the NE since Sunday and I noticed a puddle of water on my floor in the furnace room. Apparantly the drain line going outside somehow froze, causing the water to back up. Is there a way I can put insulation over the pipe outside so it does not freeze?
Your best solution is to run that plastic discharge tube to the standpipe on the back of your washing machine , a sink, or into a drain pipe within the house. Going outside with it is asking for trouble.
Mikepier wrote:

Here's what I did in my previous house to address this problem. I'm assuming your are using a vinyl drain line which is common for these applications (at least in NE). Replace the last foot or so (the bit that goes through the wall to the outside, with rigid PVC pipe. Angle it down so that water will not stand in the pipe. Use some hangers to assure the pipe will remain in this position permanently. Fit the vinyl tubing into the rigid pipe (ideally use a proper fitting), assuring the last couple feet the water has to travel is angled down. When the pump stops running, any remaining water should drain from the last couple of feet in the drain line before it has a chance to freeze.
Victor
I'd also suggest the fellow that the tip of the tube be at least 18 inches off the ground, so it doesn't make a puddle and block its own tube.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus