concrete volumn

Page 2 of 2

I wonder how they reconcile the listed 80# baguft with the listed specific gravity of between 1.95 and 2.15? Shouldn't that work out to in excess of 120#/cuft?

Less volume after mixing with water, perhaps?
--
Regards,

"Maximizer Concrete Mix is a pre-blended, ready to use mixture of concrete sand, expanded shale and clay aggregates and portland cement..."
Now the reason for the discrepancy becomes clear: this stuff isn't real concrete.
--
Regards,
On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 18:33:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Gee if they used styrofoam for the course aggregate 80lbs might be a yard of concrete.
User Example wrote:

I am not the smart math boy, but I will respond. The bags down there at HD DO say 1 cubic foot. They are just wrong. They don't have a cubic foot. They only have .6 cubic feet. I have about 40 of them out in the shop. That will do a bit less than a cubic yard of concrete. If I went by the volume marked on the label, it would seem that I would have a yard and a third (about). Being as I make my living doing stuff like this, I have learned not to believe that bag. Saves a lot of heartache.
Feel free to continue believing the bag. Lots of people do. I think Home Depot gets a lot of frenzied second trips to the store that way.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Robert Allison wrote:

Bob, who's the manufacturer? I want to call them up and give them hell. Kind of a hobby. ;)

If that's a hobby for you... get your hands on a copy of a book called "Idiot Letters". It's pretty funny. Amazon sells it, and has excerpts available on-line.
--
Regards,
On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 05:28:39 GMT, Robert Allison

What brand is that? I buy a lot of bag mix from HD (Bonsal/Sakrete) or Lowes (Quikrete) and they always say .6 cu/ft for 80 lb. I have seen some 60s that say .5 cu/ft at Lowes but the HD ones say ..45.

You're sure that they don't say 1 SQUARE foot? with a little notation somewhere telling you how deep a slab they mean?
Robert Allison wrote:

Whatever. Your tag says you are in Georgetown. I am in Pflugerville. I have a extra bag in my Jeep. So, let's get together and I'll prove to you. And if it doesn't come to 1 cu ft we can sue Home Depot for false advertising.
User Example wrote:

Contact your state's attorney general. They love going after the big guys - they have deep pockets and it grabs a lot of attention.

Those 'cheapie' (60lb ?) $ 1.39bags at HD say 1/2 cu ft on them.
Rudy wrote:

Go to HD and look at the blue 80 lbs bags then report back to me.