concrete volumn

I am not the smart math boy, but I will respond. The bags down there at HD DO say 1 cubic foot. They are just wrong. They don't have a cubic foot. They only have .6 cubic feet. I have about 40 of them out in the shop. That will do a bit less than a cubic yard of concrete. If I went by the volume marked on the label, it would seem that I would have a yard and a third (about). Being as I make my living doing stuff like this, I have learned not to believe that bag. Saves a lot of heartache.

Feel free to continue believing the bag. Lots of people do. I think Home Depot gets a lot of frenzied second trips to the store that way.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Contact your state's attorney general. They love going after the big guys - they have deep pockets and it grabs a lot of attention.

RicodJour

You're a piece of work. READ what someone posts before you start firing off mis-information, numbnutz.

Here is the original post, with a thoughtful and ON TOPIC reply. Pay attention to which brand names are mentioned in both the question and the reply:

You, on the other hand, post about an ENTIRELY different product, without mentioning the product by name. This is what you used:

MAXIMIZER? is a proprietary formula that provides more coverage per bag than standard mixes using specially manufactured aggregate formula producing a high-yield (1 cubic foot per bag) concrete mix stronger (5500 psi) than regular concrete. The MAXIMIZER? secret is the use of the special aggregate formula instead of pea gravel and sand. MAXIMIZER? also employs a higher proportion of cement-to aggregate, ensuring its strength and long-term durability.

You have been getting shit for something there would have been no argument about if you had simply posted information about YOUR product, instead of saying, "that's what it says on the bag."

What you did is no different than if someone asked about the R-value of fiberglass batt insulation, and you gave them the R-value for polyisocyanurate foam without telling them you were talking about an entirely different material. You know, lying.

Thanks for wasting everyone's time.

RicodJour

If you BUY cement, and PLACE concrete, that may well explain where the extra volume came from....

Reply to
Goedjn

You're sure that they don't say 1 SQUARE foot? with a little notation somewhere telling you how deep a slab they mean?

Reply to
Goedjn

If that's a hobby for you... get your hands on a copy of a book called "Idiot Letters". It's pretty funny. Amazon sells it, and has excerpts available on-line.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Whatever. Your tag says you are in Georgetown. I am in Pflugerville. I have a extra bag in my Jeep. So, let's get together and I'll prove to you. And if it doesn't come to 1 cu ft we can sue Home Depot for false advertising.

Reply to
User Example

I wonder how they reconcile the listed 80# bag=1cuft with the listed specific gravity of between 1.95 and 2.15? Shouldn't that work out to in excess of 120#/cuft?

Reply to
Goedjn

Less volume after mixing with water, perhaps?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Gee if they used styrofoam for the course aggregate 80lbs might be a yard of concrete.

Reply to
gfretwell

Here is the website with the tech sheets. Look for yourself. Don't argue with me anymore... go argue with the manufacturer.

User Example

The guy asked for volume per 60 or 80lb bag. He never specified which brand he was asking about. I told him the 80lb bags I had were 1 cu ft. Some other poster besides the original mentioned a specific brand. I never did. Again, I am dealing with morons.

RicodJour wrote:

Reply to
User Example

"Maximizer Concrete Mix is a pre-blended, ready to use mixture of concrete sand, expanded shale and clay aggregates and portland cement..."

Now the reason for the discrepancy becomes clear: this stuff isn't real concrete.

Reply to
Doug Miller