Concrete volumes

How many cubic feet is there in a 60# sack of premix?
In an 80# sack of premix.
And a cubic yard of concrete weighs how much, plus or minus a few pounds.
For the mathematically challenged, the answer is probably fractional or a decimal equivalent of less than 1.00 so I just need a mathematical figure on the sacks.
I went and got 42 80# sacks of premix, a shrunk wrapped palate. My truck handled it no problemo. Still have to figure out my bed capacity on my 2006 2500 Ram. I think it's the most I've had in there. IIRC, the bed capacity is close to 5,000, but not sure. Need to load it up with fuel and people, and take it to the Flying J, get it weighed, and do the math from the door plate.
Just thought someone might know.
Steve
Concrete runs about 150#/CF. That 80# bag is just over a 1/2 CF. The 60# is just over a 1/3. If you calculate usage of 80# bags at 1/2 CF it will work out pretty well for spillage, waste, stuck-in-the-wheelbarrow.
Your pallet weighs about 3360. A cubic yard of concrete weighs about 4000.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

Dan-
Dry redi-mix concrete & cured concrete cannot be directly compared / correlated.
The dry stuff hasn't been hydrated...... the cured stuff has.
But I do agree with your comment

stuck-in-the-wheelbarrow. <<<<
Using that calc will yield about a 20% "overage" amount..... a good idea for small batches.
cheers Bob
Bob, DIY types never have adequate subgrade and very rarely are careful enough about fine grade in my experience. If they buy based on .66 they will be short. It is much easier to calculate at 1/2CF/bag and the quantities very seldom come out long. Dry indoor concrete is 150-155#/CF depending on aggregate. That dry weight comparison is accurate once the water of hydration and the water of convenience are gone.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG
Keep the whole world singing . . .
Steve B wrote:

IIRC, 2/3 cu-ft for the 60#-er
Read the bag...or, www.quikrete.com to check

I don't have the exect number, but did get some of the 80 pound bags a few years ago. It took about 43 bags to fill a hole around 3 feet each way which would be your 'yard'. That is around 3500 pounds. I was thinking it was 45 bags when I did the calculations.
The bags should be marked as to how many feet are in them. I am thinking around 2/3 of a foot but it has been a while.
If you are going to use it all at one time, it may be less expensive to have the premix truck bring it. You usually have to get 3 or 4 yards or pay a delivery fee. Even at that it may cost about the same. I could not get a truck where I needed the concrete and did not have the manpower to wheelbourgh it in. I did rent a portable mixer. It takes several hours to mix it doing a couple of bags at a time.

there was a thread on this with the subject:
cubic feet
The number I use is .45 cu ft for 60lb bag & .60 cu ft for 80lb bag
a yd of cured concrete (@150 lbs/ cu ft) is 4050 lbs.
But these two sets of data dont match up because the dry bags are w/o water and the yd of cured has gallons of water that's been "hydrated" into it.
http://www.quickrete.com/PDFs/SPEC_DATA-ConcreteMix.pdf
cheers Bob
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 19:26:56 -0700, "Steve B"

60# says .5 cu/ft, 80# says .66 cu/ft (on the bag)

I looked all ever the bag, and I didn't see it. I know it's there. Will look closer today, as we pour today.
Steve
wrote

If you look here you can plug the numbers in and get teh number of bags. you can work it backwards also. http://www.sakrete.com/products/calculators.cfm/selectedCalculator/Concrete#concrete
Fior 1 cuft it will take 2.2 of the 60 lb bags or 1.7 of the 80 lb bags. Looks like I remembered correctly that it would take 45 of the 80 lb bags to give a yard. Also takes 60 of the 60lb bags per yard.
Still a lot of mixing as I have done it.