concrete and heat

I've seen Dukabour ovens that are made of stone and cement. A fire is lit inside them to heat the entire dome before they slide the bread loaves inside for baking. I'm thinking of doing somewhat of the same thing, but with concrete blocks and mortar....and maybe some poured concrete as well. It would be for a different purpose...more of a natural smoker. Is there a special concrete mixture that holds up to heat? In general how does concrete stand up to heat. The most extreme heat would be limited to the fire box and the air would be vented to the smoker where temps would be around 200 degrees. Ivan

Reply to
Ivan

Any reason you'd not want to use fire brick in the fire box portion?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

No reason at all. I would be open to that.

Reply to
Ivan

Google around for alumina cement. Here is one site:

we had to use some for the floor of an epoxy oven that baked epoxy inside oil field drill stem. Really set up quick, barely got it out of the concrete pump once it started to go. Interesting material. Contact a large local concrete company or boiler repair company for information about refractory cement, fire brick, etc.

fire is lit

loaves

concrete blocks

be for a

smoker where

Reply to
DanG

And maybe some soapstone

Reply to
Spud

What you're after is called refractory cement.

Reply to
default

Okay thanks, I'll do some studying up on refractory cement. Ivan

Reply to
Ivan