Concrete

I had a new concrete driveway installed in the spring of 2004 - house was completed in fall of 2003. I live in the Midwest and the winters can be pretty harsh with ice, snow and salt. The concrete was sealed by the contractor for an additional cost. In the landing pad area, the concrete is now pealing, flaking, crumbling and on certain corners is cracking. The front walk way, back walk way and patio are all fine. I am most likely way beyond any warranty, but am going to contact the contractor for advice. Is there anything I should or can be doing such as cleaning and resealing to prevent any further damage. Any advice on this annoying problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
jbschaefer1

not an expert, but your concrete is spalling. If you put salt on it, before it's over a year old, that is what always happens.

I called quickcrete and they told me exactly what products to buy, and how to do it.

He did suggest getting anything loose off with a powerwashwer.

Luck.

Reply to
ng_reader

to help select your next concrete contractor, it would be time well spent visiting with the company with the concrete trucks, their supplier. then visit their happy customers. the first big job we had: contractor #1 was excellent on results; pricey but negotiated on his estimating, and made up his "loss" with later upcharges during the job. the second big job had the first contractor #1 show up and argue for an upcharge and walk off. the second big job's second contractor #2 estimated and we waited and waited and called and waited some more. he finally showed up and did a great job. his long delay in starting was due to his admitted money problems. the experienced contractor #1 will mentally size up the job, your ability to pay him, and what you might be willing to pay for the job. #3: the experienced salesweasel will walk around, write up every corner of the job, steps, pitch, drainage, and upcharge and is working up a big estimate as you walk him around the job as he excessively discusses the job while wearing you down [he didn't get either job].

Reply to
buffalobill