Computer monitor problem

Page 4 of 4

replace them if you are handy and cheap.
Used monitors are generally available for about $25 - or even free (on freecycle or wherever)
Replacing the system with something newer sure wouldn't hurt if you have a few spare sheckles. Off lease machines with core 2 duo and windows 7 go for about $100 around here. Core I3 about $149. That's for a business class machine that sold new for about $600 or more.
On Wed, 02 Dec 2015 21:16:37 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I had monitor die and I liked it very much. It took me a few hours to get it open without breaking plastic tabs and stuff. I found no blown fuse, no burned buldged or noticably damaged parts. I checked into replacing all the caps around the power supply. Would have cost me around $15 with shipping for them. I know how to solder but it can be a real pain on these newer boards.
So, I could have spent $15, hours of work, reassemble it, and found it still did not work. No thanks, I'm not into gambling!

I bought an identical used monitor on Ebay for $24 with free shipping. Nine dollars more but guaranteed to work or I get a refund. It works fine! (I did save the old one in a box, just in case I need to replace an obvious bad part).
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote in wrote:

I experimented and found the monitor's external AC to DC P/S power light flickered sometimes when turned on, then monitor didn't work. If it glowed steadily the monitor worked. Probably bad P/S?
Googled a few minutes and found P/Ss with shipping about $12 - $15. Trying to decide if I should gamble that the monitor didn't cause the P/S to fail.
<sigh> Haven't tried shopping for replacement monitor yet. Never tried it and am a bit leery of Ebay. Sometimes prices seem too good.

good. You need to look at the seller's feedback. The good thing is that Ebay WILL give you a refund if the seller does not stand behind their item, and Ebay has done this for me a few times, without too much fuss!

A few months ago I bought a 3 meg processor computer with 8 gb memory and win 7 pro installed and a disc with it on it for $ 155 shipped. Only reason for buying it was so I could up grade to win 10 for free. All my other computers have XP on them. They do the job for what I want. Found out win 10 pro will not run some of the very old programs I have. Even a TV tuner that plugs into the usb port only shows the video and not the sound. Other programs have to be loaded in their own directory instead of the 'nornal' programs file.
On the monitors I gave away about a year ago two of the crt monitors just to get rid of them.

I have two CRT monitors from older desktops that didn't work om my newer ones - only about 10 years old <g>. IIRC they displayed two images side by side. Couldn't adjust them or computer video to make them wok. Maybe I should try one again and experiment some more.

If you buy another monitor you can still use it if in the future you buy a new desktop system. Just order the new desktop without buying a monitor with it. Remember, when you buy a new computer, it will probably come with Win10. Do you want that?
On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 18:38:39 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster

to run 8.1 Pro (either of which can be upgraded to 10)
On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 21:56:20 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster

2 customers, Acer Veriton. All sold before they were ordered. I do not stock ANYTHING any more. I have sold the one customer 40 of them now, and the other about 28 or 30.

KenK expressed precisely :

Go to ebay and get a new laptop or all-in-one. They can be had for under $400.00 with W7 or W10 installed, or get a used system and run linux.