Computer monitor problem

I first saw the cap problem on a "quality" IBM desktop. I've also seen it on high end Dell servers.

(plus, of course, the run-of-the-mill machines).

They're common in monitors (esp LCD's as those tend to bottom feed in terms of quality) as well as TV's and assorted power supplies.

But, all electrolytics will eventually fail given enough hours at a high enough temperature. Be especially wary of those that are in "condensed" packages. I.e., if you're having problems finding the same value/voltage device in a particular physical package size, chances are the (original) device *will* be a problem!

I've also encountered under-rated caps in power supplies in cheap consumer kit (like the $19 DVD players), professional grade organs (think "rock bands"), etc.

[One advantage to volunteering at a recycling center is you get to see how devices fail and "bad design choices" -- important if you're interested in making quality products in big quantities! As well as which products to PERSONALLY avoid!]
Reply to
Don Y

A monitor can limp along with a failing cap -- long enough to stress the FET's in the inverter until *they* fail (shorted). That, in turn, takes out the fuses to the inverter (*if* it has any) or drags the power supply down so the controller can't operate reliably.

HP had some monitors that would catch *fire*! Talk about "design flaw"!

Reply to
Don Y

I never came across one yet. I always buy name brand paying couple more $$.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

A few months ago I bought a 3 meg processor computer with 8 gb memory and win 7 pro installed and a disc with it on it for $ 155 shipped. Only reason for buying it was so I could up grade to win 10 for free. All my other computers have XP on them. They do the job for what I want. Found out win

10 pro will not run some of the very old programs I have. Even a TV tuner that plugs into the usb port only shows the video and not the sound. Other programs have to be loaded in their own directory instead of the 'nornal' programs file.

On the monitors I gave away about a year ago two of the crt monitors just to get rid of them.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

One of my computers is 15 years old and works perfectly. When I first bought it, I put in the maximum RAM it would handle. I have replaced the hard drives, but not because they went bad, I just needed more space. The original internal CD drive died too, but I did not need it, and I just use an external one on the rare occasion I need a CD drive.

I did have to replace the power supply about 6 years ago. Otherwise it's all the original system.

Last summer I took the whole thing apart to remove all the dust that had built up under the mobo and inside the power supply, etc.

I use it almost every day. It's a Lenovo!

What are SOLID CAPS (capacitors)?

Reply to
Paintedcow

On 2 Dec 2015 16:31:20 GMT, KenK wrote in

If you buy another monitor you can still use it if in the future you buy a new desktop system. Just order the new desktop without buying a monitor with it. Remember, when you buy a new computer, it will probably come with Win10. Do you want that?

Reply to
CRNG

Too bad for you.

I hope anyone reading this doesn't miss the part about you installing something 5 years old and then expecting help.

For you.

Personally, I've been running Linux for a very long time now, well over

20 years. One interesting thing, I use the Fvwm window manager. My user interface is exactly the way I want it and hasn't changed one bit in all that time.
Reply to
Dan Espen

It could be an IBM...but not a Lenovo! 15 yrs is just too old to even run XP!

Reply to
bob_villain

KenK expressed precisely :

Go to ebay and get a new laptop or all-in-one. They can be had for under $400.00 with W7 or W10 installed, or get a used system and run linux.

Reply to
Eagle

...to the morons and anals: I'm not saying it won't run...it's just pointless in something that old when there is free (or next to nothing) that is much better. 10 yrs ago (approx.) they had DDR2 and SATA.

Reply to
bob_villain

snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote in news:nl9v5b53h2vcbari7geigim27ufn581qnb@

4ax.com:

I experimented and found the monitor's external AC to DC P/S power light flickered sometimes when turned on, then monitor didn't work. If it glowed steadily the monitor worked. Probably bad P/S?

Googled a few minutes and found P/Ss with shipping about $12 - $15. Trying to decide if I should gamble that the monitor didn't cause the P/S to fail.

Haven't tried shopping for replacement monitor yet. Never tried it and am a bit leery of Ebay. Sometimes prices seem too good.

Reply to
KenK

You'd have a hard time giving me most HP products, other than their business grade computers.

Reply to
clare

Solid capacitors - take the place of electrolytic and don't fail. Not sure if they are tantalum,polyester, or what - but quite a few high end boards are using them, particularly where low ESR is required

Reply to
clare

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I have two CRT monitors from older desktops that didn't work om my newer ones - only about 10 years old . IIRC they displayed two images side by side. Couldn't adjust them or computer video to make them wok. Maybe I should try one again and experiment some more.

Reply to
KenK

Many 2000 computers will run xp with no problem - and it was 2005 that Lenovo took over IBM - so he likely has an IBM thinkstation - same thing as was later sold as a lenovo.

Reply to
clare

bob_villain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

10 yeard old. Flat panel.

Fault seems to be the external AC to DC power supply. Flickers when monitor doesn't work, glows steadily when it does. Now to decide if monitor killed the supply (junk monitor), or it commited suicide (replace P/S).

Reply to
KenK

When HP "was HP" (pre Agilent -- and whatever the latest split entails!), they made excellent products! Old laser printers just "kept on keepin' on". Ditto test equipment, etc.

But, HP, nowadays, is a step above "generic"...

Reply to
Don Y

Geezzzzzz, I cant win either way..... If I say it's an IBM, people always correct me and say it's a Lenovo. Now I'm getting the reverse..... Yes, it IS an IBM. It's a 2000 model.

I also have a newer laptop computer that says IBM (Thinkpad) on the lid, but the built in (software) Operating Manual says Lenovo. Thats from the mid 2000's.

I never tried to run XP on the 15 year old desktop computer. It came with Win 2000. I have both Win 2000 and Win98 on it. (dual boot). It's main use is for file storage and graphic editing. It does everything I need it for, in fact I prefer it over XP for what I do with it. Not to mention that Win 2000 and Win 98 do not need to be reinstalled every few years like XP does. The laptop has XP on it, and it seems like XP just slows down after a year or so, and that's even after I remove all the cache, and other temp or junk files regularly. Finally it gets so bad that a reinstall is required. This is a pain in the ass, because then I have to reinstall all the programs and tweak all the settings.

On the other hand, Win 2000 and Win 98 dont need to be reinstalled. If I were to have a problem, I can just copy the entire operating system from my backup drive to the user drive and not lose any settings or installed programs.

By the way, I'm not connected to the company or advertising, but I have had very good luck with all the IBM/Lenovo computers that I have. They just keep working year after year.... I cant say this for Dell..... I've seen much newer Dell machines just self destruct.

Reply to
Paintedcow

Yes, it's a gamble.....

I have not been satisfied with all Ebay purchases, but most have been good. You need to look at the seller's feedback. The good thing is that Ebay WILL give you a refund if the seller does not stand behind their item, and Ebay has done this for me a few times, without too much fuss!

Reply to
Paintedcow

Make that their business grade PRINTERS. No use for any of their computers, or their consumer grade crap.

Reply to
clare