Compessed Air Tanks Instead of Compressor

Has anyone used a size 300 compressed air tank instead of an electric compressor? Did it work for your application? Any thoughts?
Thanks
Bgreer5050 wrote:

How do you plan on filling it? How long do you need how much air?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

What size is size 300? Tom

Years ago I worked with a guy that tried this so he could run air tools on road service calls. He tried a typical welding style gas regulator. He found that this type regulator was not capable of flowing enough air at the CFM used by any but the smallest air tools. There may be other types of regulators that are, it's something to be aware of if you decied to try it. If you are just thinking of using it to run a nailer or other low-CMF tool, it would probably be OK with the welding gas regulator.
plausible, and wrong." (Mencken)

I have seen someone selling a CO2 system to run tools.
http://hummer.off-road.com/hummer/article/articleDetail.jsp?id &3809 http://www.supplierpipeline.com/jacpac_mm.asp?products=y&workshop=y&jacmorr=y&jacpac=y http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/10886163/Portable_Co2_For_Running_Air_Tools.html
Some sites say "never use CO2 for tools" so who knows? http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=CO2+pneumatic+tools
Bob

I'd use a compressor-type regulator,you just need the right fittings to mate with the tank.At a place I worked,the expanding foam system used to make custom-fit shipping box inserts was powered by a tank of nitrogen.

JAC PAC,that's what I was trying to recall! IIRC,they designed their own regulator. CFM requirement is very important.Stuff like grinders,cutting tools,and impact wrenches use a lot of CFMs compared to a brad nailer.
CO2 may freeze up the tool,too. IIRC,nitrogen doesn't do that.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

How about maximum inlet pressure for an air compressor type regulator? A compressed gas tank can have upwards of 2000 psig. An air compressor typically maxes out around 110 - 150 psig or so. I'd sure want to check before I connected a regulator to a compressed gas tank.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org
Larry wrote:

Back in the days when I used a scuba cylinder to supply shop air, I just used the 1st stage of a diaphragm type scuba regulator (an old US Divers Conshelf, as I recall) to bring the pressure down to something reasonable. Diaphragm 1st stages are completely adjustable from 0 psi all the way up to about 140 psi. They can supply that preset psi with a cylinder that is filled anywhere from 140 psi all the way to full, maybe 3000 psi for an aluminum cylinder, or 2250 psi for standard steel tanks.
So I had the tank, the first stage and a BC inflator hose screwed into the first stage that accepted air chucks, blow guns, etc into it's quick connect fitting. Worked fine... and the air was as dry and clean as can be.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Thank You For The Input. I Will Be Trying It Within The Next Couple of Weeks With A Steel Tank of Compressed Air From A Welding Supply House. I Am Going To Use A Regulator That Can Handle The Input Pressure of The Tank and An Adapter To 1/2" NPT For My Application.
I Will Be Sure To Let You All Know How It Went...Check Back In A Couple Weeks.
Don't you get sore pinkys from pressing the caps key all the time?
That sure makes it hard to read.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

<...snipped...>

I don't know of any advantages or disadvantages compared to CO2 but nitrogen is cheap to refill too.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org

I believe that the advantage of CO2 would be that more fits into a cylinder because it is in the liquid state.
Bob

For small jobs,it would work.
they now have a portable system that uses paintball gun tanks filled with CO2,for air nailers. You also could use nitrogen or compressed air;paintball specialty stores would be able to refill for you.All three gasses are now used in PB.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik