Dishwasher help please

Our 18 year old Kenmore died today and we want a new, efficient, not fancy, built in dishwasher that we can find at a store in our town--ie. COSTCO, Lowe's or Home Depot.

I don't care the color but just one that would do a good job for a reasonable amount of money.

You guys are awesome and helped me with my gas stove/oven and I still love it after 3 years!

Thanking you in advance.

aloha, beans

beansatsmithfarms.com roast beans to Kona to reply Farmers of pure Kona Coffee:)

Reply to
beans

Anything from Whirlpool, Kitchen Aid or Maytag will be better than anything that is 18 years old. The more expensive models have more features, more soundproofing, stainless steel interiors instead of plastic. But they don't really clean a lot better, so set your priorities.

It may vary in your area, but the stores you mentioned don't always have the best deals. Often, our local dealer will have the same model at about the same price, but will deliver and cart away the old one.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Honestly, check Consumer Reports magazine.

If you do not subscribe to it go to your local library.

They should keep back editions.

Or check them out online.

Reply to
greg6755

Thank you very much Edwin. I just needed a direction and you provided it. Yup, 18 years is a long time but maybe it is because we live off rain water alone. No salts or minerals to clog its pores.

Thanks for the advice on the local dealers too. We'll take that into account- but we live on a 4WD drive so often we pay a little more for the take away service but we don't relaly mind.

I sure appreciate your advice.

aloha, Beans.

Reply to
beans

the quiet ones can cost $995, but isn't your time and peace worth ? i would wash the dishes by hand until the quiet one gets delivered. your plan would be repeating a noisy mistake in my house. i actually looked at the noise specifications and bought the less expensive noisier model. clean dishes are worth $1 a day, right? see true appliance wisdom at:

buffalobill

Someone else mentioned CR and while I rarely, if ever, agree w/ them on stuff for which I have favorites likes/dislikes, I'll mention that the local TV "news" shows a segment weekly from them and by chance happened to focus on dishwashers last week. Their conclusion was as someone else noted--the "high-priced spread" doesn't necessarily clean any better or maybe even as well as other far less expensive models. Their recommendation on that particular segment happened to be, in fact, a Kenmore model. Of course, w/ Kenmore, who knows what is the next one and you'd have to find out the precise model they tested to have any confidence whatsoever that the model you selected wasn't complete junk. The review summary also had no information whatsoever on features, longevity/repair record, quiet/convenience, capacity, etc., etc., etc., so is only one part of the choice equation, albeit a significant one.

Reply to
dpb

Why not just go into the other room when it is running?

I hope people who spend money just because they sell good things will have enough money when they are old. Nursing homes cost a fortune.

Reply to
mm

Thank you all again for all your input. Yes, I can not afford a $995 dishwasher. The noise from my 18 year old dshwasher is loud indeed, but I still refer to it as the "electric amah" and appreciate what it is doing.

WE'll be shopping next week and again, thanks.

aloha, beans smithfarms.com Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

Reply to
beans