Cold water valve on a hot water heater

Page 2 of 2

One thing that has not been mentioned is the water pressure at the tank.
I have a Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV) to lower the street pressure before the water enters my main plumbing system. The front hose spigot has always been plumbed in before the PRV so my front spigot has full street pressure, which is great for washing cars, watering etc.
However, the spigot for the back yard was plumbed in after the PRV, in fact, into the pipe that feeds the water heater, just like you want to do. This resulted in lower pressure for the back yard hose. A wimpy garden hose is no fun.
A few years ago, I installed a SharkBite Tee into the pipe to front spigot and then ran PEX across the basement ceiling to the rear spigot so that I now have street pressure for the backyard hose also.
If you have a PRV, then you probably have house pressure at the tank, which is what you'll get from the hose. If you have a way of Tee'ing in before the PRV, I think you'll be much happier with the results. Sharkbites and PEX make this such an easy job, that even a person who hates plumbing can do it.